My Old Friend Laura

Avenellphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.avenellphotos.com
Im now starting to do Portrait photos. this is my 2nd attempt.

L05.jpg

Interesting setup. I like the contrast between the floor and the backdrop. To be honest though, she looks really uncomfortable with having her picture taken. Perhaps it is just a message given by her body language in that shot.

Does anyone else see this?

Her whole body is totally clenched up.

Maybe she would feel more comfortable with less direct lighting. Try some close-ups with dramatic, available lighting. If you can get a pic she likes, then you'll have her hooked.

It's a really nice B&W, in and by itself, but I'd agree your friend Laura does look a little hunched over.....in part perhaps because she wore a short skirt and then found herself being seated on a little stool....we girls tend to clench in the knees seated in a tight skirt :wink:

I'm not sure she's uncomfortable being photographed, because that's a really nice, relaxed facial expression and smile...I think it might be *those* clothes combined with *that* seating. Give her something where she could lean back a little, angled away from the camera a bit, maybe? I've done no portrait or studio photography, but this dead-on angle might not be the most flattering for her.

very nice set-up u got there ... not bad for your 2nd attempt ... it will happen that some of your subjects may not feel comfortable in front of the camera ... sometimes there's nothing u can do about it ... oftentimes, u can chat with them while photographing ... i often say, "tell me a funny story" ...

i also shoot the subject for at least an hour, 30 mins in, their usually more warmed up .... and if all else fails, play up their shyness and uncomfortableness and use it to your advantage .... do some weird angles, strange lenses and make them more interesting, the more u go into portrait photography, u'll find what angles, positions work best, so u will "direct" them on how to turn or the look on their face ... i've often said something like, "give me a look like u just saw your boyfriend walking down the street holding hands with his ex-girlfriend." :shock: ... so u can get emotion out of them with similar scenarios (tailor it to your needs)

all portraits dont have to be about "happy" people ... i find that "mood" portraits speaks the loudest :D

There are some more og the photos on my site. see what you think of them.
Thanks for all the info I need it. I really enjoy everything about photgraphy and want to learn more and more.
I will copy and past all your info so I can have a read through before I try it again.

Thanks again :)

Yea what they said. Dew said it best with the 30 minute rule. For me it is closer to an hour and a half rule, but I am really bad at portraits. Look at the work of Pietro Pablo Ruben.(or is it Rubens?) She is stunning, so hopefully she will be willing to pose for more sessions. Maybe try a seamless background. You are definetly on to something.

What they said.

Plus- It's the pose. This is going to sound crude, but it looks like she's sitting on the loo getting her picture taken. The other shots you have of her when she isn't sitting on that "seat" are much better.

She has a great smile, different poses will make for some great pictures I think. :)

photobug said:
What they said.

Plus- It's the pose. This is going to sound crude, but it looks like she's sitting on the loo getting her picture taken. The other shots you have of her when she isn't sitting on that "seat" are much better.

She has a great smile, different poses will make for some great pictures I think. :)

Hmm, now that you mention it I can picture it under the tarp.... ugh

Most reactions

Back