My paper cutter sucks

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by bribrius, Dec 4, 2018.

1. webestang64

webestang64 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    For small prints I use a 30 year old Susis #196 18" rotary cutter, still works perfect. For larger prints I use a big table with a large self healing pad, 60" straight edge and a hand cutter.

2. mrca

mrca No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 24" rotatrim is what I tend to use for most trimming. Can make minute trims if needed. But if you are printing, you might consider matting and the logan simplex 750 will not only cut mats, it will cut foam core, glass, plexi and paper. It is a real multi tasker and the base will make 40" cuts and has a 32" squaring arm. Since you are making prints, it will pay for itself if you are able to cut your own custom mats and foam core then with some hinging tape, can mat your own prints between mat board and foamcore with t hinges for display as is or drop in a standard sized frame. I don't crop to a standard size, I crop for the image so every mat is custom, but it only takes a few minutes and you can be up to speed with a few hours study and a bit of practice. $309 on amazon.
    Logan Graphic Products 750-1 Simplex Elite Mat Cutter System, 40 inch Capacity

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

ac12 absolutely nails it. The key is in the hold down. Without a good hold on the paper being cut, even the sharpest wheel gives a subpar cut.

With a steel straight edge with a cork backing on the blade, the hold-down is extremely good, and the cuts are clean and crisp, even on thin paste-up copy.