My paper cutter sucks

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First i was using the flat long blade one for trimming prints. Then i went out and bought a wheel blade one (you know for prints supposedly) with all the measurements and angles. Yeah, that is not only confusing it still doesnt give a clean cut,

What is the pros using??

Within budget. some idea so if i see one on a clearance or something i will recognize i need that,

I have mine cut by experts and delivered to me.......

Have a guillotine cutter, which is OK, but in spite of great care the paper moves as its cut. Have used rotary cutters, again OK, but not great. When I want it perfect, I grab a metal straight edge (ruler), an Exacto knife and a cutting board. This is what we used in the Prepress department of a large commercial printer when we still used film.

...I bought an Alvin self-healing mat, a big one, and it's great. I'm a craftsman (cabinetmaker/carpenter) so working with my hands is second nature, so take that as the caveat. But I also use a metal straight edge and a cutting knife (I find an Exacto too small and hard to handle, instead I use the cutter-type I carry in my bags daily, which is large(r) and sharp and sturdy) so I can apply lots of pressure on the blade while holding down the straight edge with a whole lot of pressure, also. The trick is to be able to reposition your hand on the straight edge so as not to move it, as you move the cutter along.

I picked up a Dahle 550 rotary trimmer from a Pro Lab that closed down for real cheap.
I can cut a clean 1mm strip with this ... and it's not even new.

I use a Fiskars brand guillotine. It has a little plastic holder to prevent the paper from moving. Works great.

I picked up a Dahle 550 rotary trimmer from a Pro Lab that closed down for real cheap.
I can cut a clean 1mm strip with this ... and it's not even new.
Jealous. How thick?(weight)

It was actually a 2mm closed cell foam ... I was replacing those really thin pieces ... but I also does a great job on cutting paper.
It is not cheap new ... but because the lab was closing down I got it for $30.
I knew this lab and they didn't skimp on the equipment they used ... if it worked good they used it.

OK, I took a sheet of plain ol paper (probably 20lb) and sliced off 1mm with no slip.

I've used the less expensive rotary ones, and some work decently well.
I think one trick is to have a GOOD "hold down" that will hold the paper so that it does not move, for the entire length of the cut. And it has to hold the paper pretty close to the cut, so the paper won't buckle. Some "hold downs" is as simple as a 2 or 3 inch wide strip of plexiglass/plastic that you slide the paper under then press down on it to hold the paper in place.

And when the rotary blade is dull, replace it. Like a dull scissors, it won't cut easily and well if it is dull. After I sharpen my wife's sewing scissors, she says it makes a BIG difference in how easy and well it cuts. If the edge that the rotary cutter rolls against is rounded (dull), it won't cut well. It has to be sharp, or very close to sharp.

I've used the less expensive rotary ones, and some work decently well.
I think one trick is to have a GOOD "hold down" that will hold the paper so that it does not move, for the entire length of the cut. And it has to hold the paper pretty close to the cut, so the paper won't buckle. Some "hold downs" is as simple as a 2 or 3 inch wide strip of plexiglass/plastic that you slide the paper under then press down on it to hold the paper in place.

And when the rotary blade is dull, replace it. Like a dull scissors, it won't cut easily and well if it is dull. After I sharpen my wife's sewing scissors, she says it makes a BIG difference in how easy and well it cuts. If the edge that the rotary cutter rolls against is rounded (dull), it won't cut well. It has to be sharp, or very close to sharp.
I think part of it is i bought boxes of this heavy stock photo paper from overseas. Works well enough for most things and it was cheaper in bulk. But it is heavy, almost like card stock. In saving money i started cutting it to whatever size i needed (dont want to waste paper). But the cutters arent liking it. It does run through the artisan printer just fine, cant run it through a regular printer though. I was in this stage of buying bulk paper, bulk refillable ink, trying to see how much i could lower my printing cost. Which worked.. Except the cutter..

That probably sounded odd. But i was into commercial printing when i was younger so was used to seeing ink in 50 gallon drums and paper by the pallet. Hence when i started looking at my personal printing costs i was just "this isnt realistic or efficient". But in commercial printing we had commercial cutters...

For small prints I use a 30 year old Susis #196 18" rotary cutter, still works perfect. For larger prints I use a big table with a large self healing pad, 60" straight edge and a hand cutter.

The 24" rotatrim is what I tend to use for most trimming. Can make minute trims if needed. But if you are printing, you might consider matting and the logan simplex 750 will not only cut mats, it will cut foam core, glass, plexi and paper. It is a real multi tasker and the base will make 40" cuts and has a 32" squaring arm. Since you are making prints, it will pay for itself if you are able to cut your own custom mats and foam core then with some hinging tape, can mat your own prints between mat board and foamcore with t hinges for display as is or drop in a standard sized frame. I don't crop to a standard size, I crop for the image so every mat is custom, but it only takes a few minutes and you can be up to speed with a few hours study and a bit of practice. $309 on amazon.
Logan Graphic Products 750-1 Simplex Elite Mat Cutter System, 40 inch Capacity

ac12 absolutely nails it. The key is in the hold down. Without a good hold on the paper being cut, even the sharpest wheel gives a subpar cut.

With a steel straight edge with a cork backing on the blade, the hold-down is extremely good, and the cuts are clean and crisp, even on thin paste-up copy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back