my personal challenge

foned

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I guess my biggest challenge comes from setting people up. I've never had the foresight ability of what would look good for placement and what not. I think im reasonably good at composition of things that are already there.. what angle to shoot, where to put it in view, however telling people where to go, how to look, etc has always been my biggest problem, and unfortunately the thing i enjoy the most is shooting people lol. I prefer candid shots anyway, but if people request photos they don't usually ask you to follow them around when they look pretty and try to maintain a non posed posture..

so anyway, recently an old friend saw photos i did of some of our mutual friends, she just got engaged and wants me to shoot them. I'm reasonably confident i can get some decent shots, (there are limitations, im mainly using available light, etc.) but usually if i take like 2-300 shots i get at least 10 that come out pretty good for my experience level and available equipment.

so.. im wondering if anyone else has/had this problem and has any ideas on getting over this issue? thanks ;]

Posing is something that has to be learned, just like learning how to use manual mode or controlling DOF.

Photographers that do it well have looked at thousands and thousands of portraits and studied what worked and what didn't.

Yup, posing people is a skill that can (and needs to) be learned.

HERE is a good read to give you an idea of 'classic' posing.

Before diving into posing be sure to find out what and where you want to go with it. I find that 90% of my shoots I like the people to pose naturally (how they would) and I then fine tune/critique. If it is a shot I really want I will give very specifics and sometimes even place things how I need them. But on average, I would say something like "hold her" or "hold hands" but I have worked with people who do everything down to the T.

To me, doing everything that specific kind of breaks the free flow and fun of the shoot but of course, to each their own.

from what i've discovered through some simple shoots one on one with friends, i do prefer the natural poses, and i do try to give small tips of what to do rather than placing them like dolls that im in control of, mostly because thats way too detail oriented for me. the first couple shoot i did i just told the couple to 'cupcake' and luckily the girl happened to be a stripper, who knew she was attractive, so she knew how to pose and was confident so it made it pretty easy for me.

luckily the girl happened to be a stripper, who knew she was attractive,
We will need to see pictures ;)

haha of course, i thought that might spike some interest ;)

3413647606_ebdffb9fdc.jpg

this is my favorite. heres the set Kyle + Jen - a set on Flickr

she was great to photograph (dumb as dirt, and annoying to boot) but she was telling her boyfriend he was an idiot and giving him pointers, telling him he was blocking her from the camera, and what not. i didnt even have to do much work lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back