My photography course

keni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I finished all my school stuff two years ago, and along with work I realized I need a hobby. As such, I took up Photography and decided to take a small course so learn things properly. Unfortunately, I may have chosen one of the worst places to go to; although, I may just be thinking that becuase I don't care for the very basics. Basically, we're going to learn properly using Camera's, best settings to use them at, basics of developing and advanced techniques in developing and taking pictures. The problem is, I just started adn we're in what they call the "introductory lesson."

So anyway, this introductory lesson not something I look forward to after work, and now they even gave us a little project they want us to do in two days to know we understand the parts of the camera.

Basically, they were telling us about the similarities of the Camera and the Eye - basically the camera-eye analogy used often in some Bilogical Sciences. Anyway, they want us to come up with a similar analogy, not using the eye obviously and make atleast 5 comparisons.

My problem is, I can't think of anything to compare the Camera to. The eye makes sense, but nothing else works, and it obviously can't be a digital camera or anything because that's too obvious.

Any suggestions?

i remember studying the "wave/particle duality of light", some old experiments shooting photons/electrons/something though small pinholes... there might be some analogies in there, i think the scientist's name was Rutherford.

maybe a slide projector, it's basically a reversal of the same process... right?

i really have no idea what i'm talking about. ;) good luck!

JTHphoto said:
i remember studying the "wave/particle duality of light", some old experiments shooting photons/electrons/something though small pinholes... there might be some analogies in there, i think the scientist's name was Rutherford.

maybe a slide projector, it's basically a reversal of the same process... right?

i really have no idea what i'm talking about. ;) good luck!
I'll look into those two, thanks. My time's limited because of work, and this art school is really picky, I asked them if I could just not do this and they said I can't take pictures as part of the class unless I show them I worked hard onit. Some of us have jobs you know!

Anyway, I like the idea of the slide projector, don't know if I'll be able to draw 5 comparisons though. <--- Yea I don't think it'll work, if they make us do an analogy to the enlarger then this will be perfect though!

Reading up on the Light-Particle Duality of Light theory right now.

^
Ah thanks for your help but that won't work, can't really draw many similarities and there aren't really any specific objects or mechanisms associated with it that I could make the comparision with.

A camera and a memory? What the camera takes a photo of is a moment in your memory that you'll never forget.

Well take that for what its worth because I'm not sure thats the idea your art teacher is looking for.

Good luck.

oldnavy170 said:
A camera and a memory? What the camera takes a photo of is a moment in your memory that you'll never forget.

Well take that for what its worth because I'm not sure thats the idea your art teacher is looking for.

Good luck.

I don't think it would let me draw enough comparisons, I think I'll just do a quick comparison on the tape recorder and the camera as recording mediums with similar buttons (i.e. record, shutter relase; eject, film release; rewind button, rewind level), don't much care for this assignment.

Anyway, thanks for the help both of you. Once I start getting into photography, I hope to be an active member of these boards.

The name camera comes from the latin "camera obscura" or dark room. You can certainly compare a camera to a dark room.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back