My photos too sexual???

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks:

So I got a text from a friend of mine who was upset that my photos were "too sexual." Her thought process was that as a Christian, I shouldn't portray females in "that way."

I use quotations, because I don't think my work is necessarily "sexual." I certainly think there's sex appeal in my work, but apparently some others think something else.

This message was sent to me, based on what she saw on my Facebook page. So I'd love if you could check out my page and let me know what you think. Is my work too sexual???

Facebook page: Daryll Morgan Photography | Facebook

I wouldn't worry about it. She sent it in a text message. Clearly she wasn't THAT worried about it. I would say that she doesn't like you taking pictures of OTHER women that way. Sounds like jealousy.

I think you're doing something wrong if a boudoir shoot isn't sexual. That's kind of the point.

That's certainly his opinion and he's entitled to it. It's your business, you run it the way you see fit.

Nice try, I won't visit your facebook page.

p.s. nothing can be "too sexual".

Based on what I've seen here on TPF, I would say no, it's not. Everyone has a different idea of how much is too much, it's a very personal preference. Do you have a separate FB page for keeping in touch with friends - not business related? If so, maybe keep her in the "friend zone".

Hey folks:

So I got a text from a friend of mine who was upset that my photos were "too sexual." Her thought process was that as a Christian, I shouldn't portray females in "that way."
After careful study of my New Testament, I can find no indication that Christ had any opinions on photography at all.

I think you've posted this question to the wrong forum. You may want to ask a Priest.

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

After careful study of my New Testament, I can find no indication that Christ had any opinions on photography at all.
While you may be literally correct (and I suspect attempting to add a bit levity), your response lacks the nuance and sensitivity required when discussing matters of faith (BTW, there are two testaments in that book that guide over a billion people in one way or another and much is said of modesty and/or temptation). There are several major faiths as well that have even greater modesty than the Judeo-Christian ethic.

OP was not seeking a discussion of what SHOULD be appropriate, this is a business district discussion of what a person in the business of photography can/should expect the public's reaction to be to his/her work. I would log this concern as a legitimate issue to monitor. If a significant number of others share this opinion then perhaps your artistic vision is compromising your business model. If not, then it's an isolated opinion.

If you don't care what offends others then you are free to do as you please, but if you are selling your images and want to maximize revenue, then avoiding offense is just good business. OP's question is a good question for anyone in business to monitor.

Last edited:
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Just not the shooting eye

Just FYI: Your chili is too spicy, you put your toilet paper in the dispenser the wrong way, you keep your thermostat too warm for the winter,........... and you shouldn't use metal utensils on your pots and pans with non-stick surfaces.

I think you've posted this question to the wrong forum. You may want to ask a Priest.

Good point. We only dispense unqualified legal advice here. Unqualified spiritual advice would probably be more readily available in a different forum..

Lol

Hey folks:

I use quotations, because I don't think my work is necessarily "sexual." I certainly think there's sex appeal in my work, but apparently some others think something else.

This message was sent to me, based on what she saw on my Facebook page. So I'd love if you could check out my page and let me know what you think. Is my work too sexual???

Facebook page: Daryll Morgan Photography | Facebook

This is the main reason I can't stand Facebook and got off it years ago. The question should be to her, give me an example, and why do you see it that way? This discussion should be done in private with both of you looking at the screen. She needs to convince you, right ? since you do not agree?

A lady at my church said the same thing about a macro flower I did of an orchid... I'm like, what? She then when on to school about the anatomy of a plant (which I knew) and how she didn't care for my sexual tensions to be on display... I kind of put her in her place but that is another story...

The point is, when creating art and displaying it publicly, you are going to get critiqued. Social media is one revenue path for your work. How much revenue does Facebook generate for your business? If none, ask yourself if it worth it. Oh, thoroughly read the user agreement on Facebook, you may think different about posting your art work on that platform.

I don't see your photos sexual at all, unless you are doing boudoir which is the point. But maybe that's just because I'm an evil little atheist lol.

But in all seriousness I see a photographer who is creating art and I guess the part of being an artist is that some people will just not agree with your visions. That's life I guess. I'd simply ignore her and continue doing what you love to do and don't let these people bring you down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back