My poor Nifty Fifty..

jkassis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I just got my T3i in the mail today and I absolutely love it! However, I went to test out the video with my 50mm f1.8 and noticed that the focus ring is really scratchy. I hadn't noticed when doing photos because I usually used auto focus, but it's really bothering me now. Awhile ago I told a coworker to hold it for me while I changed lenses, and he started turning the focus ring while it was on AF (seriously, why the heck would you do that?) so I'm assuming that's the reason for it. If it's not that, I guess it could have to do with sand when I went to the beach, but I didn't even take it out of my bag, and my other lenses were fine. So I want to either get it fixed, get a new one, or upgrade. I adore the sharpness of it, and I don't have anything sharper right now, so I need something equivalent to it at least. Should I get it fixed or upgrade to a different lens? If so, what lens?

Really? I've heard that for the money a 85mm f1.8 would be more worth the money than a 50mm f1.4. I mean I didn't use the aperture at it's widest too often anyway to get a sharper photo, and I would assume the extra focal length would be an advantage for portraits.

unless you had the first version of the 50 1.8, and not the 50 1.8 II, which has the plastic mount, the 50mm 1.4 already comes out on top in that arena. besides the ability to shoot in lower light, and at shallower depths, the AF is even better on the 1.4.

also, if you're a dof nut like i sometimes am, you will learn to appreciate the extra blades on the 1.4, giving a more even and creamier bokeh.

Build, Aperture diaphragm, and USM are all main reasons to upgrade to the f/1.4 version. There's also the Sigma 50mm f/1.4....

Decision between the 50mm and 85mm is a pure personal preference based on the obvious focal length difference. You can't go wrong with either... I liked both.

For general video shooting, and when I say general I mean like parties and street stuff, nothing fancy; I would get the sigma 50mm f1.4. It focuses fast and quiet, and because it has an aspheric front element, wide open it is sharper then the canon f1.4 wide open

I use the 1.8 and am very satisfied but I suppose that when you work in the 50mm range more often the 1.4 makes things a lot better.

The 50mm f/1.8 is not great for video, and the 85mm f/1.8 would probably be... Worse. Depending on the scenario.

Here's my logic: The 85mm is a longer lens than the 50mm, therefore you have to hold it much steadier. The 85 DOES have USM, which is nice, but it's still going to be a narrow FoV on a crop frame body. If I was shooting a documentary and doing interviews on a full frame body, I'd use the 85mm f/1.4 that I have only because it's got a wider FoV on a full frame. But I see the 85mm being too limiting on a crop frame body if you are planning to shoot video (or possibly even stills depending on what you shoot).

I'm not really sure if either video or photos are your thing... But if you want a lens that has a good FoV for filming on a crop frame body, a wide aperture for shooting in low light, and a smooth focus ring, look at the Rokinon 35mm f/1.4. It is surprisingly high quality optics for a reasonable price. It's sharp and renders bokeh really nicely. The downside, there is NO AUTOFOCUS. Which doesn't matter for filming, as you aren't going to use AF anyway. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer about whether or not it has a focus confirm chip in it. Which would allow the in camera AF system to recognize once you've manually focused, but you'd still have to manual focus. Another note, it has a manual aperture diaphragm, so you'd want to shoot wide open until you actuate the shutter most likely.

The other option albeit a bit more expensive, is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. It's got roughly the same field of view as a 50mm on a full frame camera, so it will be very manageable indoors, and it has HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor).

I do own the Canon 50mm f/1.4, and it is a great, solid performing lens. It's durable, and it focuses fast.

Most reactions

Back