My recent work - looking for feedback

Shidensen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i just recently went out for some photos and i am trying to get some feedback on these two especially :blushing::

Both were shot in natural light using a canon 550D and the 50mm f1.8 "nifty fifty" lol.

Feedback per req:

1. Not bad. I think a little more DoF (say f4 vice 2.8) and a slight contrast boost would help the image. Compositionally, I'd like to see just a bit more room above his head and below so that the collar wasn't cropped; visually this is a bit irritating.

2. I quite like this; I wish the exposure on her legs was a bit brighter, not a lot, and I think a bit of separation from the background would have helped, but I like the overall look and feel. When posing models, try and avoid having pairs level (eyes, shoulders, breasts, etc). In this ase her shoulders are square to the camera, giving her a bit of a 'football player' look. A slight turn would have really helped.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

While I am a big fan of low contrast, there is a difference between a long tonal range and simple flatness. In the case of #2, I am not a fan of the processing. There is no detail in the shadows nor the hilights, everything is just compressed to the middle. To me, this just seems fogged - perhaps what you were going for - but given the scene I don't think really works and the dark area behind the gate becomes murky and distracting. Pulling this shadow to zero I don't think is the solution, but placed at 20% I don't think is either.

Still, simply correcting using curves would result in loosing the muted color pallet. Placing such a correction in luminance mode provides best of both worlds.

$h5mw.jpg
(be sure to click on preview to view proper color)

I like both

Most reactions

Back