My role model (Help on equipment)

Sirene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My role model in photography is Somaya Reece (She's a professional self taught photographer)

This is what she said she uses:

I shoot with a Canon Mark II and the Nikon d70. I also use a RING FLASH this gives you a nice look, very sleek and well lit.

You can see her work here
(I'm not into taking glamour pics but I love the other ones.. the rappers and the old lady shot)

http://www.myspace.com/photographybysomaya

I'm new to photography and already made a thread about which camera I should buy, but now I would like to know :

1- What do you guys think about what she uses ( Is this stuff as great for shooting people as for nature or places? )

2- If I'm a real beginner but hoping one day to shoot profesionnally just like my role model, which camera should I buy now, not having a 1500$ and up budget

Thanks so much for your help guys, I really appreciate it

A camera is just a tool. It's skill, talent and knowledge that makes a good photographer.

Buying the same camera as your role model won't mean that you can take the same quality of photos.

I suggest you get what you can afford and start learning. Read some books, take some classes. That will be money well spent.
Maybe try to find someone to learn from. Become an assistant for a professional, that is one of the best ways to learn.

A camera is just a tool. It's skill, talent and knowledge that makes a good photographer.

Buying the same camera as your role model won't mean that you can take the same quality of photos.

I suggest you get what you can afford and start learning. Read some books, take some classes. That will be money well spent.
Maybe try to find someone to learn from. Become an assistant for a professional, that is one of the best ways to learn.

Thanks,

Like I said I don't want to buy the same camera as her, I want one day though, I wanted to know which should I buy now.
As for the learning part, I will give my all and putting a lot hours into it.
And I wanted your opinions in general about what she uses.

To me it looks like normal photography. Her "cool" images that it seems you are attracted to - well, it is more about the lens and post processing than about the camera itself. The Canon and Nikon she speaks of are on completely different sides of the spectrum as far as prosumer/pro gear.

To get those images you seem to like, she was shooting with wide angles and in post process, she is doing lots of "pop" and saturation.

Get yourself a basic DSLR under $1,000, get a couple different ranges in lenses (I have a set of vacation pictures on my biz blog that I used a wide angle on - if you check it, it is the little thumbnails...click on them...)...play with your wide angles and then open them up in photoshop and learn how to bring out the vibrant colors and "pop" them... and you will be very pleased.

What's your budget? Most DSLRs will do. I say most because there are some with fewer lens choices and/or much more expensive lenses which would limit you if you chose that brand. For the largest selection in lenses, look into Nikon or maybe Pentax (I think that their DSLRs are backwards compatible).

Which ever camera brand you get you should also budget in for a couple of books.

As far as a ringlight is concerned, you need to understand that not only do photographers make money shooting photos, there is a huge business in merchandising and teaching in the photo industry. There are very few instances where a mood cannot be achieved in several different ways and a ringlight is just one way to light a subject.

Thanks so much for your answers Mike E and JodieO, it really helps me.
These informations are precious to me

To me it looks like normal photography. Her "cool" images that it seems you are attracted to - well, it is more about the lens and post processing than about the camera itself. The Canon and Nikon she speaks of are on completely different sides of the spectrum as far as prosumer/pro gear.

To get those images you seem to like, she was shooting with wide angles and in post process, she is doing lots of "pop" and saturation.

Get yourself a basic DSLR under $1,000, get a couple different ranges in lenses (I have a set of vacation pictures on my biz blog that I used a wide angle on - if you check it, it is the little thumbnails...click on them...)...play with your wide angles and then open them up in photoshop and learn how to bring out the vibrant colors and "pop" them... and you will be very pleased.

Oh I love your pictures !!

Ok... lets not forget that there is a WHOLE lot more that makes up those photos than just the photographer's talent and equipment.

* Makeup
* models
* lighting
* backdrops
* fashion/clothing
* post production work..

just to name a few...

As Jodie said, it is normal photography but what makes the photos is a compination of a lot of things... not just photography.

There are multiple sides to fashion/glamour photography and a lot of it is behind the scenes.

You too can make photos similar to those given access to the right "team" of professionals to create the scene.

As for a camera find a local store pick them up the ones in your price range and see what feels comfortable. Nikon has good bad canon has good bad sony has good bad if you starting to see the cycle all camera have positives and negatives but why spend money on something you cant handle or hold comfortable.

Funny enough it's mostly the vibe I get from the picture I would still love them even if there was nobody in the picture.

My passion is more scenery than shoothing people, pictures of cities is my passion
If you take out the men from these 4 pictures they would still be amazing to me

Thanks

she should shoot for playboy or somthing.

anyway.. a good camera to start off with would be somthing like the nikon d40x.. 10mp, and allows you to do alot. for only about $500 the next best thing would be maybe the nikon d80. the d200, d2, and d2x series are way to advanced for you at this time.

but you are lookin into canon.

in that case id go with the EOS XTi or the EOS 30D.

Ive personally always liked nikon better. Ive used each of the above mentioned cameras and i personally favor the d200, which is what i shoot now. i actually traded in my d2x for the d200.

Now with the new d300 coming out, ill probably be advancing to it. along with alot of photographers, so keep an eye out on the d200 for im sure itll drop maybe $400, instead of $2400 camera, now itll probably be about $1999

The best thing for you to do is read as much as you can about canon, nikon, pentax, olympus, fuji, and panasonic cameras. find one you like, as far as its style, ease of use for you, quality, and price range.

Pentax usually makes a decent beginners camera. and they offer a decent lense lineup.

Check out cameras and package deals on websites.. a good one is www.bhphotovideo.com

If she is truly shooting some with a D70 that is not an expensive camera at all so that is no worry for you. I have to agree with others though these images are a bigger product of lenses and post-production than camera model and of course there is good lighting and good models thrown in there. Now if you talk about the Canon you mention that is not $1500 camera as you say it is a little closer to this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354004-REG/Canon_9443A002_EOS_1DS_Mark_II_Digital.html and the ring flash http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194480-USA/Canon_2356A002_MR_14EX_TTL_Ring_Lite.html and as far as her lenses I would say this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/425812-USA/Canon_1242B002_EF_S_17_55mm_f_2_8_IS.html is probably close to what she is using. But as others say you can start small and work up but remember when you buy a camera now you are buying into a system and unless you are a rich magazine photographer like her you should figure on staying within this syatem for a while so choose carefully.

Most reactions

Back