My second "stacked" macro...

USM IS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I actually have depth of field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy. :lmao: Mike
3D8V0527.jpg

For some reason the composition just is not right, might be able to crop it and make it better, but I am not digging it.

That pic makes my allergies flare up, nice work. :)

For some reason the composition just is not right, might be able to crop it and make it better, but I am not digging it.

I think Tulsa wants a close-up of the flower's stamen...

Pervert

Sorry to be so ignorant. What is stacked? And how do you create the effect? Is that the two photos with separate focus points that are joined? New to macro. :D

Normally when doing macro shots like this, the depth of field is almost paper thin, meaning anything in front or behind this this zone will be out of focus. If you take multiple exposures at different planes, you can stack the images by only selecting the in-focus portions of each image and assemble them into a complete single image.

Very nicely done. What equipment please? I'm in the market for a set of rails and I haven't decided which to get yet.

Normally when doing macro shots like this, the depth of field is almost paper thin, meaning anything in front or behind this this zone will be out of focus. If you take multiple exposures at different planes, you can stack the images by only selecting the in-focus portions of each image and assemble them into a complete single image.

Very nicely done. What equipment please? I'm in the market for a set of rails and I haven't decided which to get yet.

I was happy considering my lack of experience doing it. With all the snow on the ground there is not a lot of "SUBJECTS" to be had. This is actually 3 photos stacked. The rails I used are NOT up to the job IMHO, used the Manfrotto. WAY to much oscillation when using the adjustment screw. Downloaded Apeture 3, and used there stacking option. Took me several tries in the battle with the rails lack of quality. Canon EOS 1d Mark III with 180mm L Macro and twin flash.......Mike

USM IS you are right the manfrotto rails are not the best on the market I have a set and when I used them I found the only effective way was to have the locking screw turned so that there was always pressure on the main screw. It makes turning the screw (and thus moving the rail back and forth) slower and a little harder but it means that you get far less of the frame shake since you are not having to adjust the pressure screw.
If you want a set of better rails I would say get a set of the hongkong ebay rails (also sold by Adorama as Adorama focusing rails). The velbon focusing rails might also be another good option but I have not used them.

Also for the lighting in this shot how were your lights arranged? I'm not too sure that the dark upper section works well enough - it gets the impression that its blending into the background but not desirably.

USM IS you are right the manfrotto rails are not the best on the market I have a set and when I used them I found the only effective way was to have the locking screw turned so that there was always pressure on the main screw. It makes turning the screw (and thus moving the rail back and forth) slower and a little harder but it means that you get far less of the frame shake since you are not having to adjust the pressure screw.
If you want a set of better rails I would say get a set of the hongkong ebay rails (also sold by Adorama as Adorama focusing rails). The velbon focusing rails might also be another good option but I have not used them.

Also for the lighting in this shot how were your lights arranged? I'm not too sure that the dark upper section works well enough - it gets the impression that its blending into the background but not desirably.

Will have to look into the other rails, that was exactly the technique I resorted to on my set. Still got that little half ROLL when I moved them. FOR SALE on e-bay I say. Now that you bring up the lighting I see that. I will try to redo that. I actually liked it at first, wanted to draw you into the flower....it didn't work....Mike

Most reactions

Back