PushingTin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.christwine.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all

I am very impressed with myself for actually attempting to build something instead of going out and buying a ready made product - but thats cause I am useless at building things :p

Ok, so I got the idea from another design on the internet and decided to give it a go and build a softbox for my Sb-600 flash.

So this is what it looks like - ugly, yeah for sure - but does it work? I am not sure..... results to follow.

soft1.jpg

soft2.jpg

Ok so now here is the test I took: (Please dont look at the photo for composition or anything, was just a random test purely to see if the lighting would be any better)

Camera was on a tripod and the settings stayed exactly the same for every shot.

Test 1: Flash gun only pointing straight at the subject (note the harsh shadows)

strno.jpg

test 2: Flash gun with softbox attached

stryes.jpg

Test 3: Flash gun only pointing at ceiling for bounced light

upno.jpg

Test 4: Flash gun with softbox pointing at ceiling for bounced light

upyes.jpg

So it looks like flash gun with no softbox pointing at ceiling gives the best results? Maybe with tweaking the settings, adding more power to the flash while pointing up would give better results, I dont know.... I wanted to test using the same settings for a comparison.

I am a newbie when it comes to lighting, so just playing around with it...

Any thoughts? Please comment - Thanks

Nice work on the DIY. What is the front material? Fabric/paper?

So it looks like flash gun with no softbox pointing at ceiling gives the best results?
This is usually the case. Remember that to have softer light, you need a larger light source. A large portion of the ceiling is a lot bigger than the softbox, thus the light is softer.
I think your last example didn't work because you may have surpasses the capabilities of the flash. Something like a soft box can eat a lot of light, thus requiring more flash power. The ceiling also eats some light and with the distance up and back, it was just too much. Try upping the ISO...but as you can see. When bouncing, you get pretty good results without the softbox, so it's probably not worth it.

A flash accessory like this is for when you can't bounce and have to shoot directly.

A lot of people get caught up in flash accessories...and a lot of people make a lot of money pushing these things. Sure, they can make a difference...but only in the right situation. Many times, they just make things worse by using up flash power.
The important thing, is to try to understand what the light is doing and what will give you the best results in each situation.

Thx Big Mike for the comments which make 100% perfect sense.

Front material used is paper in conjunction with a plastic almost like an overhead projector paper but not as clear, dunno if material would make a better difference or not.

Last edited:
Front material used is paper in conjunction with a plastic almost like an overhead projector paper but not as clear, dunno if material would make a better difference or not.
I was just asking because it looked like normal (printer) paper...which would eat a whole lot of light. I wouldn't use something that 'solid'.
If you can get it, thin white nylon fabric would work well.

I have changed the softbox from paper to material and its made a HUGE difference.

I prefer the photos taken with the softbox now...

Here is the latest test:

Test 1: Flashgun only direct at subject

str2no.jpg

Test 2: Flashgun and softbox direct at subject

str2yes.jpg

Test 3: Flashgun only pointed at ceiling

up2no.jpg

Test 4: Flashgun and softbox pointing at ceiling

up2yes.jpg

All settings were the same on camera and flash.

Softbox gives the "warmer" light.

That's much better.

Although in the 2nd round of testing, your 3rd shot (flash only at ceiling) you got a darker result than you did in the first test..they should have been the same, shouldn't they?

Maybe it's just a difference in the i-TTL metering...it can sometimes be inconsistent when there are small changes.

As for the warmer light, that can happen...but did you have the WB set to auto, or to a fixed value?

I don't know if you can check this, but I'd be curious to know what power level the flash was using, with and without the softbox. Of course, you can get softer light by bouncing with the softbox...but if it uses a lot more flash power, that will increase your recycle times and eat up your batteries faster. Not to mention that it will have to work a lot harder if you go into a bigger/taller room.

Yeah come to think of it I have changed the lighting in the house since the first test - i have switched a certain light off (near the aeroplane) and put a different set of lights on in the lounge (a little further away) which is the probable cause of the inconsistent lighting between test of softbox with paper vs softbox with material test.

WB on AUTO

Thx again for the idea of changing to material and for all the comments

just another point: you can also play with the zoom setting on the flash to control the light intensity.

and get the flash off the camera!!!! (if it is not already!)

I like #2 better.

You can see the details in the running gear better than #3.

Big change in WB between the soft box and the straight flash.

For the first series, I actually like 4 better - highlights are starting to blow out on number 3. #4 is a more welcoming shadowy kind of light then the technically more properly exposed 3 (but that's just me - I realize 4 is starting to lose detail in the shadows but I prefer blown shadows to blown highlights).

Have you set up one of your customizable shooting banks for flash photography on your D300? If you do this, I think you will have more consistant results because you don't have to remember to set this or that each time. I would also consider to setting the WB to flash rather than auto, again for consistancy.

I have seen patterns for a softbox such as what you've done. Thanks for sharing your test results. I may have to go ahead and DIY one myself. I like the results with the fabric much better.

Thanks - it was pretty simple to make and in dollar equivalent cost me about $8 for all the parts.

Only reason was so expensive was cause I still had to buy glue stick and cellotape, if I had that would have cost around $3 to make :)

Good idea.. I might have to bite your style and try making one myself. I've got one of those plastic push-on diffusers, but it's not all that great.

Most reactions

Back