my sony is no more.

enigma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have.... had a sony f717... and rather liked it. Over the past weekend... it broke do to a fireworks blunder. I will need to be buying a new one in the next month or so, and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. The sony lens was great, however the camera it self had some issuses that I was not found of. I am researching myself, but I would also like your input.... thanks.

PS.... I would have a picture of what happened... but I had a hard time finding most of the camera :))

I'm sorry for the demise of your camera and I trust no one was injured but I'm curious as to the "issues" you had with it.
Please tell!

How do you know of the red clipping?
Is that experience or rumor and hearsay?
I'm very interested in the Sony because it seems to be far and away the best in it's class so obviously I want to hear any negatives.
Thanks.

ok, first off, dont get me wrong, this really is (was) a great camera. some cons however (for me anyway)

-no raw mode... although tiff is still very good.
-i wish the wide angle went a bit lower than 38mm
-I wish it had time laps recording
-less zoom than a few same class models (coolpix 5700 8x, and minolta DiMAGE 7hi 7x)
-clipping on the reds... to some degree nothing you cant fix in PS.

nothing like
-takes crappy pictures....

just looking around at other cameras before I go and buy one.

I have the 717 and I love it, but I would like:

-faster autofocus
-wider angle (I am going to be getting the Sony WA lens)
-memory is expensive
-having an EVF can make manual focusing difficult at best

If I were to buy a new digital, I would save my money and probably get a Canon 10d but.. hey what do I know.

Hmm...
I thought my next camera was going to be the Sony and even though the problems you describe are common and even worse in some others in that range I'm thinking the Canon 10D might be the way to go.
The issue is of course bucks, the Sony is selling for around $550 and the Canon is around $1,200 plus the lenses.
I'm guessing that I wouldn't be happy with the limitations of any of the mid-range digitals so I guess I'll have to save my pennies.
Thanks for your input.

Canon 1Ds...ooohhh I wish!
Unless I win the lottery there's no chance!

A digital SLR is the way to go IMO; the problem I see is the life span of the camera versus the cost of all the new equipment. IMO the live of a 6meg SLR camera is going to be about 3 to 5 years on the safe side.

Camera - $1500
28-70 f2.8 - $400
CF card 1G - $300
Battery pack - $250
Ex Battery - $50
Total - $2500

Works out to be about $835 dollars a year for 3 years.

The down side is a film camera in this cost range would last a lifetime or more.

If you can afford it go for it

More numbers all US dollars and all posted on the net

Sigma SD-9: B&H $1100.00

EOS 10D: B&H, KEH, Circuit City, $1500.00

FinePix S2 Pro: B&H $2200.00, KEH $2050.00

Nikon D-100: B&H, KEH, $1700.00

:D

I don't know where Jeff came up with those numbers (or the English!) but since the Sony DSC F-717 is selling for around $550 and you've had one before plus you were happy with it the best bet is to get another one.
The Sony is still far and away the best in it's class and yes it's got it's issues but which one hasn't?
The issues you have with the Sony can be lived with and unless you want to spend megabucks there'll always be something missing or wrong.
Also, as Jeff points out, a $1,500 digital camera will be an obsolete model in three years and although it will probably still function well most people will want the next great thing.
Buy a replacement Sony and be happy!

yes. I would love to have a dslr... just I would also love to pay my rent...:) I have not been into digital photograpghy that long.. i can not justify spenting that kind of money on it right now.

Also, i would love to see where they go with the Foveon chip in the next couple of years.

I think I will end up going with the sony.... but we will see.

enigma said:
yes. I would love to have a dslr... just I would also love to pay my rent...:) I have not been into digital photograpghy that long.. i can not justify spenting that kind of money on it right now.

Also, i would love to see where they go with the Foveon chip in the next couple of years.

I think I will end up going with the sony.... but we will see.

I've been keeping my eyes on that Foveon chip since it's announcement. The side by side comparisons are quite impressive. Digital technology in the future will be less about megapixels.

Most reactions

Back