My toughest clients

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
About once a year, I get to make portraits of these guys. It can be rough.

C&C invited. Thanks!

-Pete

brothers.jpg

I think they turned out well. I would definitely hang these on my wall. You wouldn't guess they were a tough shoot by how they turned out. Nice job.

yikes! They look like they would be tough!
Are they your children?
hahaha!

I think you used a little too much compression on the images for posting on the web.

I think they lack originality, fun and emotion. I know for a fact that you are an amazing commercial/editorial photographer. On one hand I guess the critters got the best of you. On the other it seems that your love of creativity and light was left at the door.

Love & Bass

Craig, thanks for your kind words about my commercial work. And thanks for saying these lack originality, fun and emotion. Not many will be so objective.

It's a problem I've been grappling with for some time.

I try to break out of my routine, but seem to come right back to it. Shooting digital has helped a bit. I can't quite put my finger on the reason. Part of it is market driven. When I do step out of my familiar approach, both wedding candids and portraits, it seems the bulk of the orders come from the more "classic" work.

I think another side of it may be my training. After woking so long to concern myself with lighting ratios, leading lines, color key, etc., it usually feels like I'm erring when I stray from time-tested conventions.

And there's the desire to perform well with the client. There an expectaion of the clinet to just "produce,"... one the spot... especailly when there are time constraints. So I go to what I know. I do as much planning as possible, so anything outside of the plan takes a back seat. This all seems a bit more intense when I'm working with family.

Maybe I like the safety net. Maybe it's a neurosis. But it's not lack of desire. I just want to be sure that my work is good before I try to make it different. Often the two are at odds for me.

Do you think the lighting is so far off?

Thanks for taking time to comment!

-Pete

Cute captures! But the lighting does seem a little off, maybe a tad dark; or at least from my work monitor.

Craig, thanks for your kind words about my commercial work. And thanks for saying these lack originality, fun and emotion. Not many will be so objective.

It's a problem I've been grappling with for some time.

I try to break out of my routine, but seem to come right back to it. Shooting digital has helped a bit. I can't quite put my finger on the reason. Part of it is market driven. When I do step out of my familiar approach, both wedding candids and portraits, it seems the bulk of the orders come from the more "classic" work.

I think another side of it may be my training. After woking so long to concern myself with lighting ratios, leading lines, color key, etc., it usually feels like I'm erring when I stray from time-tested conventions.

And there's the desire to perform well with the client. There an expectaion of the clinet to just "produce,"... one the spot... especailly when there are time constraints. So I go to what I know. I do as much planning as possible, so anything outside of the plan takes a back seat. This all seems a bit more intense when I'm working with family.

Maybe I like the safety net. Maybe it's a neurosis. But it's not lack of desire. I just want to be sure that my work is good before I try to make it different. Often the two are at odds for me.

Do you think the lighting is so far off?

Thanks for taking time to comment!

-Pete

Pete, I can definitely relate. I am not a seasoned professional like you, but I've been in the business for about 3 years now. In that time, I have to agree that even though I want to get the creative original shots, parents will most often buy the traditional and classic shots with the technically correct lighting and standard posing about 80% of the time. Occasionally, I will get a parent who is looking for different stuff, but they mostly just like to see the child's face with smiles and expressions and don't really care about the comp.

Pete & NJMan,

I feel your pain. I am (not yet was) in the same boat.

Long story short I have moved from my very comfortable position of 14 years to the SoCal market. Strangely I have been checking out the competition and it has really got me motivated to take my work to the next level. Meaning that whatever I thought was good has been thrown out the window. At this point it has to be very impressive and very original. The challenge has changed my way of thinking about photography.

Of course it goes a little deeper then that. I will not bore you with the details. Chin up and I bet a dollar you will remember this conversation next time you pose the beautiful kids near a log or pumpkin. As always I will be keeping a close eye on both of your posts.

Love & Bass

Nice shots! I'm not sure if it's just my monitor, but their faces appear to have a green color cast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back