My Trip to BC's Desert

Harmony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was recently selected to participate in a Provincial History Fair held in Kamloops, BC. I had the time of my life with other youth from ALL over BC. Over the course of four days they stuffed us with food, we got held at 'gunpoint' by masked robbers on horses, we had the opportunity to carve on a Spirit Totem Pole, ate more food, managed to drive our chaperones crazy, and endured more than 24 hours in a bus which carted us from our homes to the site of the fair. I am still amazed at how we could go up to a person for the first time, give this random person a hug, and then be the best of friends 5 minutes later. The chaperones with us also had to endure 4 hours of riddles on the way to the fair, and balloon tag/volleyball for 2 hours on the way back. We also had stopped at a tiny museum in Hope and the WHOLE bus of 50 people waited for 45 minutes to use one of 2 washrooms... and we STILL managed to make it to our homes on time. It was a great time, and we all made lots of new friends.

And, of course, I took photos! So here are a few that I got PP'ed.

[This is a Native graveyard that we passed by while on the 2141, an old, restored steam train.]

08-58.jpg

[The hills of Kamloops and surrounding areas are, at the center, rock, but covered in sand and soil. If Kamloops got rain (it doesn't. Kamloops is arid, semi-desert terrain) there would be landslides. As it were, the slopes are sparsely populated with pine trees. And ever since the winter's started getting warmer, the pine beetle has been eating and destroying pine trees, seemingly at random, but if we can't figure out how to deal with them, all the trees will be brown and dead.]

08-57.jpg

[The view from inside a pit house, looking outside.]

08-56.jpg

[A view from outside into a different pit house. There were four at the site.]

08-59.jpg

[Taken from a moving bus, in the middle of a food-fight and a HORRIBLE rendition of 'the wheels on the bus'. (I have SKILLS!)]

08-61.jpg

Taken from a moving bus, in the middle of a food-fight and a HORRIBLE rendition of 'the wheels on the bus'. (I have SKILLS!)
:lol:

Nice pictures, and I like that there are stories to go with!

The first image looks strange, and I can't put my finger on it... I really like it, in terms of sbjst and composition. But there seems to be something wrong with the colour and/or contrast... It reminds me of something I have done when I used the grey slider in levels (CS3). Could that be it? It may just be copmression and how it loaded to the internet. Or maybe I'm crazy. Who knows?

I think you're right... it looks sort of like a water colour painting, too over saturated. Thanks for the comments!

Anyone else?

So I was debating whether or not to bump this, and decided against it. So I came here to tell you all about it, and it just ended up being a bump! :lol:

I really like the last one!

I like them all, number 5 is my fav, love the composition.

#2, maybe a diiferent crop? seems too centered?
Maybe the rules of thirds I read recently is telling me this.

Nice work Harmony. It looks and sounds like you had a blast.

#2, maybe a diiferent crop? seems too centered?
Maybe the rules of thirds I read recently is telling me this.
IMO, this is a case where the Rule of Thirds can be broken and probably should be. Harmony is showing the symmetry of the mountains and it's reflection on the smooth water of the lake. Personally, this is my favorite.

Thanks for sharing.

I really like #1, except the colors seem all wrong. But I really think there's a lot of potential in that shot. I don't usually do this (because it feels kind of wierd.... lol), but I noticed you said your photos were ok to edit, and I really couldn't resist with this photo, so I popped it into Lightroom for a quick run.

Here's the result, I think it really enhances the mood of the pic.
PhotoForumEdit-1.jpg

That's my 2 cents anyway.
Jason

Love the last edit by JHF Photography!
As I (and others) have said before, it is a great shot, but the colours are off. There are mny ways to fix it, but I really like the mood set in JHF's edit. Very suitable for a graveyard.

I love what JHF did too. Can you walk us through what you did?

Glad you like the edit! Sorry this took a couple days, things got busy.... but I didn't forget about your request!

The edit was pretty simple, although it would be more complicated without Lightroom (absolutely love this program).

I have a "300" effect preset downloaded in Lightroom, so I applied that to it, then tweaked the preset a bit. Now, the actual changes that were made involve the colours being desaturated, mainly the blues and greens. The oranges and reds are left a little stronger. I also darkened the sky by using the luminance controls on the blue channel.

It's kinda tricky to explain because, as I said, I just used the Lightroom preset and went from there (have I mentioned how much I love this program?)

Hope it helps, any more questions ask away (and I'll try and respond a little quicker ;))

Thanks for the reply, not matter how late it might have been! I don't have lightroom, so I'll start by desaturating blues and greens...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back