My tripod is a Segway...

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well okay, not really. I do have a real tripod and I have been known to shoot a picture or 3 from my Segway, but generally, I let the Seg glide me to a location, then I get off to shoot.

I've spent a good portion of the last day looking for a forum to discuss photography on, share some of my pictures and learn from others how to improve my work. Off and on throughout my life I have had periods of great interest in photography. I even took a class at a community college (San Mateo, CA) in the early 80s. But for some reason, I just never found the time to devote to it that it needed. Work, relationships and other interests kept me from getting serious about it - although I seem to have made it a background player in all those things.

Last week I ordered a Lumix FZ200. While waiting for it to arrive, I studied articles, videos and read discussions on a lot of forums. I was particularly appreciative of a series of videos by Graham Houghton on the FZ200. So, I'm excited about taking the camera for a glide to see what we can see.

The main reason for the Segway is my lungs. They're shot. The only good thing about them is now I don't have a job (well, that also the bad thing) and think I can devote time to developing some latent artistic talent. I'm somewhat limited in physical exertion, but I have amazed myself even during these last 4 years past my so-called expiration date (damn doctors don't know sh**).

Let me finish with a shot I took a few years ago - before I knew about "selfies." People are always commenting about how the Seg makes me look so tall. I decided to accentuate it by setting my Olympus C-8080 on a mini-tripod. I kinda like the shot.

avon-viper-stryke-tires07.jpg

Aloha and welcome to TPF! Nice to see you beating the odds! That Segway reminds me of another gentleman on another board I frequent. He has an electric mobility scooter and he mounts his camera and lens to the handlebars. :D

Well howdy Jim and welcome. Good for you and great to see. Always wanted to try one of those and you can hire them here, could be interesting. In your situation its ideal.

All the best Jim and again, good on ya. Its a pleasure ;)

Danny.

Thanks for the quick welcome, guys. I'm looking forward to this new experience. I gotta say, though, it's odd seeing those initials, TPF. I own a forum (not about photography) and it's always being referred to as TFP. I got here and thought, CRAP, first the lungs and now I'm becoming dyslexic. :(

Jim

Welcome to the forum Jim! I'm one of those doctors who "don't know sh**". Glad you beat the odds. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

welcome to the forum Jim!
Im a paramedic, so if anything happens to you here on the forum, Ill get you stabilized and take you over to the TPF hospital where our resident nurse, KathyT, and the Forum Doctor, BrickHouse can get you all fixed up! We got ya covered here!

Welcome!

Welcome to TPF! Hope you enjoy the photo game immensely.

Nice ride man. Welcome.

You've got many more miles to go Jim. And good luck with your photography, looking forward to your photos on TPF :)

Wow, you guys know how to welcome a guy. :) And I feel my virtual health is in good hands too. :D Well, my day is just getting started (I keep strict hours: in bed by 4AM, up by 11) and I have some admining to do on my own forum, but I will return to ask for a critique on one of my shots from a year or so ago. I hope this evening I can go out and shoot some pics with my new camera.

Thanks again,

Jim

Welcome aboard and what a great intro! Glad to see you are active ;)!

Most reactions

Back