My turn - B&W Conversion from Joshua Tree

Chase

I am now benign!
Reaction score
Website
www.thephotoforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Be brutal! I took this with the idea of trying to give a feel of both the scale of the area we were in as well as how huge the clouds appeared along the horizon. I was hoping a little more of the trail along the bottom would show to better lead your eye into the picture, but I don't think that part worked as planned. Comments and critique appreciated!

Attachments

• $DSC_1086a.jpg
    $DSC_1086a.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 224
dear sir,

just a note overexposed to let you know i'm aware of this post. this being the only post i've ever seen of yours you overexposed can image the shock and subsequent jolt my body sustained when seeing it. once my meds kick in and i regain overexposed sub-coherentcy, i will be better able to focus on this.

your ever faithful overexposed minimod

Chase said:
I'm thinking paying more attention to my monitor calibration may not be a bad idea! :lol:

:lmao: 8) uh oops :oops: hey there bigboy:sexywink: nice shot? you can't ban old people.....we have rights! :eek:ldman:

the composition is very good, leans towards ansel a bit, and the dramatic sky sets the mood and gives a good balance. i don't see how you could have provided the viewer with a better sense of "leading into the picture" than you did without changing the composition. im carried into the image and the contour carrys me winding onward. the foreground brush is exposed well but the path is a bit blown. as i continue to view, i wonder how it would look if you had included both foreground bushes on either side. i like it...looks like a place to pitch a chair and sit for a while.

You own a camera? :scratch:

Don't hurt me..... :mrgreen:

In all seriousness.....I like the high contrast here. It almost looks like an IR shot. Is this all PS, then?

I think I can see what you were trying to do here, and it's not bad, really. The clouds are very dramatic, and floating in that black sky gives a nice IR feel. :thumbup: Love it! As far as capturing a wide, empty, barren-feeling landscape, you really have a great mood here.

But....what is your focal point in this image? My eyes are wandering around and I end up on the clouds. I do get the sense of the big, wide open landscape, no question.....but it would be awesome if there were something in the foreground to look at, aside from the path.

What equipment did you use? I'm curious.

That's a very good question. I think the split horizon may sort of confuse the focus between the sky and the landscape. Overall, I was just going for a standard landscape with some emphasis on the clouds/sky.

It was shot with my D70 and converted with a script that emulates IR.

Thanks for the comments so far!

huh... picture by Chase! wow! I haven't seen your pictures for... oops.. I don't remember if I saw your pictures !!!!

Well seen and composed landscape with the clouds being my final focal point bringing everything together. I agree that a levels adjustment of the middle arrow to the "dark side" would be of great help to bring out the textures and contrast of the brush as well as the details in the path - possibly some burning-in of those areas also. I like how the larger bushes/trees on each side are framing our view into the sloping valley. Nice job.

Tuna

:cokespit: Sorry. Chase takes photos? And nice ones at that too. I think this is the first photo I've seen you post. :hug:: I actually went looking a while ago to see if you'd posted a photo but I couldn't find any. Ah well.

Wrt this photo, I think the biggest problem is the line halfway through the pic that the others have mentioned aswell. My eyes keep wandering around that horizon line and into the clouds. I think you've captured the size of the place but I also think it's just a bit of unfortunate timing. I reckon that if the clouds weren't as dense around the horizon there - it wouldn't matter as much that it's cutting the pic in half. Does that make sense? I think I'm trying to say the pic is too heavy at the middle. (Ok that makes less sense.)

IR was the first thing that came to my mind as well. And I dunno what JonMikal's talking about with the over exposed-ness, it looks fine for me. Bright and Hot!!

Meysha said:
And I dunno what JonMikal's talking about with the over exposed-ness, it looks fine for me. Bright and Hot!!

the path

Yeah, the horizon line bothered be a bit, too. It was a situation where I couldn't a happy medium without either cutting the clouds off strange or cutting out too much of the foreground. Irritating! ;)

Yes! The clouds fully cooperated in this shot. May be a little center heavy. Sometimes that can kill a shot. i think it works in this frame because I can not stop looking at it

Exposure wise the midtones are (on my iMac) muddy, which makes me wonder why you went BW. Maybe post the colour version.

hi chase...!
let me say, i'm not as full of technical terms like jonmikal or meysha or terri..
i cant rattle off all that stuff like they do, so please forgive the rookie, downhome talk...
i know its a critique forum...but there is nothing to criticise....i truly dig this pic... :thumbup:
and i think the best part, is the fact it gives me a rounded feel to it...and on vast pictures, shouldnt you get that feel? isn't the earth round, and therefore the horizion curved?? the clouds look like they are touching the ground, and are moving toward me...almost a 3-d effect, and since we see 3-d..would that not mean its very realistic??? i dunno...i love the heck outta it...
(of course, i am trying to get in good with one of the powers that be...is it working?? :lol: in truth, i like it just as it is....i wouldnt change a thing..!)

Most reactions

Back