My version of water drops

Layspeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
British Columbia, California & Philippines
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Being bored and somewhat inspired by the recent water drops, I'd thought I'd give it a shot. I didn't use a tray or colored backgrounds. Instead, I conveniently found a slightly rusty milk can outside. I didn't have any charged batteries for my SB400 so I just made due with my pop-up flash (which gave me a bad reflection off the can! :blushing:) I like the effect of the rusty can more than the water drop itself :lol:
Shot with D90 and 18-105kit lens @ 105mm
Aperature: F/10-F18
Shutter Speed: 1/200sec
Manual mode
I took a little over 200 shots in about 45 min. I kept 24. Some on a tripod, some hand held sitting on the ground. These were for fun, but C&C always welcomed. :D

4299652153_4fdab64a51_b.jpg

4299681695_2ea8245d91_b.jpg

4299681715_2a0971d5fb_b.jpg

4299681719_375a26593d_b.jpg

4299692599_68842cd212_b.jpg

4299693801_8a720d9c2d_b.jpg

Last edited:
I tried the same thing today and by the look of yours I should have used a tripod too. I love the clarity in these and the rusty can.

Here is mine. I'm pretty excited about how well it turned out being it was my first time and all. I am dying for a macro lens too. I need to get a dropper to instead of trying to poor it.
dropletweb.jpg

Noonz said:
Good job! Love the background also. It's not so hard is it? Dont even need a Macro haha
Not difficult at all really..just takes practice and luck with the timing! I'm sure results would be better with a macro lens though.

mammarazzi said:
Here is mine. I'm pretty excited about how well it turned out being it was my first time and all. I am dying for a macro lens too. I need to get a dropper to instead of trying to poor it.

You tried to pour it? :lmao: AND take a picture at the same time? There's been a couple different threads on this and some people have hung plastic bags or bottles from something and poked a little hole in the bottom so there's a continuous drip. I just kept the can under the faucet and adjusted the faucet to my liking. I do like the color of yours though the focus does seem soft or that's blur since you hand held them.

Last edited:
Are you laughing at me! J/K Lol!Hey not bad for multi tasking eh? I actually used a small dry measuring cup. It was an assignment for anothing photography forum so it was a pretty quick rig. Bowl of water on a white plate with some blue food coloring on my patio table. Sometime this week I'm going to try again. Maybe tomorrow if I find the time. Hmmm...I might have to use a baby bottle, that would be a good slow steady drip. Thanks for the ideas!

Yes I was laughing...but not directly at you, just how you went about it ;) You're welcome, plus they're not my ideas. I might do this again this week also as lately I've got a lot of time on my hands.

nice pics, love the rusty copper! Composition seems a little ramdom however

The use of on-board flash is quite evident and takes away from your photos. Recharge your AA's and try again.

AliasPros said:
nice pics, love the rusty copper! Composition seems a little ramdom however

Thanks. Yeah I was more or less trying to capture the drops for a first try. Maybe I'll consider composition after more practice.

altitude604 said:
i liked #4 the best... looks almost like a wormhole forming.

Thanks, I have a few like that. I think they're more interesting than the normal "peaks" that everyone captures.

kundalini said:
The use of on-board flash is quite evident and takes away from your photos. Recharge your AA's and try again.

I know, it's too bad. I plan on trying again very soon though. Also since all I have is a SB400 mounted on camera, what would be a good way to set it up. I was thinking of bouncing it off of something behind the can/dish?

I'm loving number 3. And the colors from the rusty can are pretty great haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back