My very first Milky Way shot.

CaleNewman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there, this is my first milky way shot. Could any of you give me some tips on how to edit a photo like this? I, unfortunately, do not have access to lightroom. Would ya happen to know any good programs as well? Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! And holy poopsicle I was so freaking excited getting to see the Milky Way last night!!

bCqUjIU.jpg

Very nice first attempt! Really, the only processing I'd do here is to get rid of the telephone pole (or whatever it is) just above the trees, bottom centre. As for software, have you considered the $10/month Adobe Photographer's "Bundle"? It gives you Lightroom, PS, Bridge and several other less applications. I'm NOT a fan of subscriptionware, but it's the way things are going, and when you do the cost comparison, it's not actually a bad deal.

cale.jpg
Next time shoot it in your tungsten (incandescent) mode...you'll get a deeper blue to black sky with better definition on the stars, providing of course you nail the focus and it seems you did just that...very good first effort.

I used Photoshop to change the color balance to more like a tungsten setting and while there went ahead and removed the tv antenna. This is why buying into the Adobe LR/PS bundle is such a great deal.

Last edited:
Very nice! I hope my first Milky Way attempt comes out that good.

Nice. I also attempted to get the milky way for the first time the other night. My results were not as good but I was still excited that I could see it! Not sure where you are but there is a lot of light pollution around here. One thing to note is that waiting for the new moon is supposed to help.

RtedruV.jpg

Wow, sweet thanks a lot guys!!! I just tried using LightRoom and holy crap it's pretty sweet! This is overedited a lot, haha but this is what I came up with! I couldn't figure out how to remove the plane with lightroom.

Very nice first attempt! Really, the only processing I'd do here is to get rid of the telephone pole (or whatever it is) just above the trees, bottom centre. As for software, have you considered the $10/month Adobe Photographer's "Bundle"? It gives you Lightroom, PS, Bridge and several other less applications. I'm NOT a fan of subscriptionware, but it's the way things are going, and when you do the cost comparison, it's not actually a bad deal.
Yeah I tried out the light room stuff, it's freaking awesome! Thanks a lot for the advice!

Most reactions

Back