My very first newborn photos. What I learned and what I need to learn!

WHHAAAAAAT! Lyncca is HERE too! YAY!!! I'm finding all these familiar people!

I can't offer any critique that hasn't already been given, but I did want to say that - I absolutely love Love LOVE this thread! Take note all you beginners who think that pros are big mean monsters. Cindy is a well known, ok WELL known photographer in our area, and she took took 3 pages of critique without threatening to leave the forum, calling someone names, or playing the part of the victim in a violent photography bashing. This should show you that even the 'old pros' are open to learning new things!

And Cindy, I completely and t-totally know what you mean! LOL I once thought I wanted to try newborns - I mean how hard could it be right? You just put them on a soft, warm blanket, play a few lullabies, and once they are sleeping you shoot, shoot, shoot, with a shallow DOF right? HAHA! Yeah right! That thinking goes right out the window the first time you get pee'd on, or dookie squishes out the side of the diaper. Shooting babies ain't all fun and games! (Which is why I'm still doing dogs!)

WHHAAAAAAT! Lyncca is HERE too! YAY!!! I'm finding all these familiar people!

This was my first forum to join back in early 2008. I drift in and out now, been too busy to be on a lot of forums and I do like our local one just because of the local advice you can get.

... Cindy is a well known, ok WELL known photographer in our area....
Just a little bit ;)

And Cindy, I completely and t-totally know what you mean! LOL I once thought I wanted to try newborns - I mean how hard could it be right? You just put them on a soft, warm blanket, play a few lullabies, and once they are sleeping you shoot, shoot, shoot, with a shallow DOF right? HAHA! Yeah right! That thinking goes right out the window the first time you get pee'd on, or dookie squishes out the side of the diaper. Shooting babies ain't all fun and games! (Which is why I'm still doing dogs!)

I've almost stopped offering newborns as a service. It takes me FOREVER in the session and I almost dread it at this point when I book one. I do end up getting good shots in the end, but they aren't near the caliber of what I have seen from those that major in the newborn industry.

Wow Christopher! You have me blushing! Lyncca and I have a little joke about that. LOL.... I give YOU total props because pets to me are even harder than kiddos.

Lynccccccccccccccccccaaaaaaaaaaaa! Hey girlfriend! So glad to see you over here! And I totally understand about the newborn thing. I just finished up my second one, with a NEW predicament: The germaphobe parent. Holy cow, if I touched my camera, or ANYTHING, I had to wash my hands AGAIN AND AGAIN before I could touch the baby.

So it went like this. Prop the baby up.........run and wash my hands.........grab the camera.........get it to my eye...........damn! the baby just moved his head away.........Prop the baby up........run and wash my hands.........................
It took FOREVER to get a shot! LOL.

I loved your post work. Thank you!

Last edited:
Wow Christopher! You have me blushing! Lyncca and I have a little joke about that. LOL.... I give YOU total props because pets to me are even harder than kiddos.

Lynccccccccccccccccccaaaaaaaaaaaa! Hey girlfriend! So glad to see you over here! And I totally understand about the newborn thing. I just finished up my second one, with a NEW predicament: The germaphobe parent. Holy cow, if I touched my camera, or ANYTHING, I had to wash my hands AGAIN AND AGAIN before I could touch the baby.

So it went like this. Prop the baby up.........run and wash my hands.........grab the camera.........get it to my eye...........damn! the baby just moved his head away.........Prop the baby up........run and wash my hands.........................
It took FOREVER to get a shot! LOL.

I loved your post work. Thank you!

Ok, I'll pop in more :) Lord, I haven't had a germa-phob mom yet thank goodness out of about 20 babies, but I do get the grandma that wants to pick them up every time they fuss and then we have to start all over again after we put them back down. I'm all for feeding them and making them sleepy, but if you pick them up constantly, they won't ever settle down for the pics. I just recently booked 2 more newborn sessions. LOL I just can't bare to turn down money, but oh how I want to! LOL

Amen with the not turning down money thing. Mike laughs how I ***** about having too much work to do, and then I keep taking on jobs. You are truly a sister!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back