My very first portait set...

Efergoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First try at formal portraits...submitted for your review. Rip 'em up if you need to. Feel free to edit. these were shot on a Mamiya RZ67 6x7 camera with ilford HP5 120 film. Lighting provided by two 500watt incandecent bulbs...the model was seeing spots when she went home

jen004a.jpg

jen003a.jpg

jen001a.jpg

jen008a.jpg

5 this one was just for fun...what can I say...chicks dig the uniform, and she was chomping at the bit to put it on (it was hanging up in the living room)
jen005a.jpg

1 & 3 are my fav's, not sure 3 needs all the empty space, may work better with out. Nice shots.

Hi Efergoh,

I know the feeling and pain you feel doing your first shoot, I recently did my second one.

Just a few tips

#2 - Light seems to be coming from the left of image. A small reflector (White card, paper, or actual reflector) would help to improve the light on her face and help to reduce that harsh darkness on the right of picture.

#3 - Good lighting, but still not enough light on the right of picture. Also, IMHO to much space above the head. It distracts me from the model.

#4 - I like the lighting in this one, its much better. One little tip I learnt... Watch for the marks that a Bra will leave in your model. If possible, get them to remove it a bit of time before the shoot (get them to wear a robe or something) to allow the skin to recover and loose those lines.

#5 - Watch for harsh shadows projected on to walls. Another fill in flash would help to reduce this. Her face seems to be blown out a bit as well. I am not sure if this was in the processing or not.

Hope this helps a bit. At the top of this thread is a post on Tips for Portraiture. There is a list someone posted of about 20 tips. Take a read of that, I found it helped a bit.

Cheers
Moose

Regarding #3...

I showed this thread to the model, and we talked about #3 before it was even printed, and we dcided that we liked the neg, and after it was printed, she fell in love with it. I made the crop posted below, and she balked at it. She said it ws nice, but the vertical (#3) was what she liked.

Oh well, I guess sometimes the client wins...but I win too because I still prefer the original over this crop. But here it is for your consideration and comments. I like this crop, it is just that I like the negative space on the other one...go ahead and call me freak.

jen001b.jpg

well I like number 3 with this space up there. I like this kind of creative photography.
I don't like photo 2 because her eyes are lost in a shadow. it is always good to catch a bit of reflected light in somebodies eyes.

Thanks, Mentos. I was really in love with #2, but now that you point out the light issue, I see your point...I guess I get the shoot her again...goody for me, because I really enjoyed working with her.

Most reactions

Back