My very first wedding (as photographer) (Part 1)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Two weekends ago, for the first time ever in my life I covered a wedding.
It was the wedding of two close friends of mine, and I did the "job" for free and in lieu of any other wedding present.

They have meanwhile got the photo book and are totally over the moon with it. Everyone who has seen that book so far loves it (if I may say so) and I had to order two new ones for the respective mothers.

Well, why is there a Part 1 and also going to be a Part 2?

This is because we are in Germany.
In my country, no priest, minister, pastor, clergyman or whatever is the right word has the right to perform the legal matters of marriage. The legal marriage MUST be done at the registrar's office, in front of the registrar. And in most cases, that registrar must perform the necessary things in his office and cannot move elsewhere.

So the couple in question got married "twice", as it were, first in the registrar's office, and a day later in church.

The first set of pics is from the first day:

021klein.jpg

Saying "Yes"

023klein.jpg

025klein.jpg

Doing the necessary formalities

Kissing the bride/new legal wife:

038firstkiss.jpg

039kissdidntwork.jpg

"What??? That kiss was no good???-
Right-o. Let's try again at once!"

040secondkiss.jpg

Part 2 to follow soon.

congratulations :)

I never in my life did a marriage ... not as a photographer, not as a victim :p (ok, not as a priest either ;) )

They are all nice, but the first 3 seem to have a problem with with balance, they seem to have a slight colour cast. did you use flash? if so, then you have a problem of mixed light here (the flash, and what comes through the windows). In such a situation it is nearly impossible to get the right white balance for all parts of the scene.

I think you got the important moments spot on though!

The last three have some slight focus issues / motion blur, but they look very natural and not arranged, which is nice. it does not look like posing.

Well, keep in mind, as mentioned, I am not a wedding expert ;)

No flash but mixed light all right, with the lamps on and light through the window. I tried in the RAW converter to get it right, but with two very different sources ...
confused-smiley-013.gif

but with two very different sources ...
confused-smiley-013.gif

I know the desperation which stems from such a problem ... I have several shots where I wish I could do it but I cannot ;)

Maybe you could try to get the skin tones right-ish .. not sure how far off the background would be then.

OR, if you do not mind spending a lot of time PPing, you could use masks and combine two images with different white balance settings (created from one raw image, so alignment is not a problem here). Not sure if this is feasible for this scene though.

The photo books are done, anyway. And the "customers" (friends!!!) are all enthusiastic about them, too. So ... nah ... no more work on these. Maybe only for fun, but there are always too many new projects to really have the time for such kind of "fun" (or learning - it would, of course, help me learn how to do things in the future!!!).

Wow, are you wandering into a wedding photograph territory more often? Nice work btw!!!

Nicely done Corinna. I especially like the last 3...the colours of her jacket and flowers really pop.

Thanks Anty.
You would have been one of the few who would not have had to read my explanation on why there are always "two weddings" in Germany, right? ;) Your cousin here only got married a week earlier, if I remember right. No photos from that wedding anywhere??? ;)

I really don't know HOW I missed this (these) threads.

Very well done, my friend! I can't imagine anything missed in this series. You should be proud of these. Good choice to use available light on these.

Now... on to Part 2.

-Pete

Ah Pete :hugs: - thank you so for coming and looking and for saying such nice things!
I found it all pretty stressful, mind you. I am not sure I would want this to be my day job!

Again, nice job for your 1st wedding. It is also interesting to learn about the "wedding" procedure in another country. Thanks for sharing.

Nice pics - knowing them both in person I must say you captured them well! Has the groom filled out? He looks less bony than Iseem to remember him.. :lmao:

The first caption made me wonder (because I know it's "I do" in English - what would a German registrar say if a bride or groom actually said "Yes" instead of the required "Ja"? Would it be legal? :lol: Okay, I'll stop being silly.

Wedding photography is stressful and you captured their special day beautifully. I can see why all was impressed with your work and your passion to do a great job shines through. 1 wedding is stressful enough but 2..........oh my!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back