My Weekly Themed Sketch and Other Art Works

Discussion in 'The Creative Corner' started by snowbear, Jan 31, 2016.

1. snowbear

snowbear fuzzy-wuzzy Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A Fan . . . the alluvial type (a geologic formation, similar to a delta).

[​IMG]
    20160503_171523.jpg
    by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice! Is this ink plus watercolor?

3. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you. Ink as watercolor - I tend to do a lot of washing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting! I think I've said before that ink scares me because it's such a permanent type of medium, and I'm the type of chicken-sh!t artist that likes to be able to clean up mistakes. :1247: You make it look easy.

I have gotten better with the oil pastels, though - they scared me to death when I first started because, like ink, they are not easy to change once the mark is made.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    Get a cheap set of markers - not Sharpies, as they bleed through everything. Lightly outline a scene in pencil (I like 2H or 4H), then retrace the pencil lines with marker. Now make diagonal hatchings and cross-hatchings for the shadows. Hit the pencil (if you can see any) with a gum eraser once the marker dries, and you have an ink sketch. Only want to use one marker, pick a color you like - it doesn't matter.

After a couple of those, try some basic shapes with just the marker - circles, squares, cubes, triangles, pyramids. Again, use cross hatching or lots of points/dots (see my measuring cup a few pages back) for the shading.

Eventually, you might want to expand and try washes. Get a bottle of India ink and one of the Speedball dip-pen kits - a holder and a couple nibs (there's one geared toward cartooning that's decent). Add a general purpose watercolor brush, like a #4 round, and you're good to go. India ink will be pretty waterproof when it's dry so you can layer washes without screwing up previous work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow. Such knowledge! I'm likely to remain your admirer than to take up working with this medium anytime soon, though. I've only recently turned a corner with the oil pastels, and still have a looong way to go before feeling I have a strong handle on them. It hasn't been a year yet!

7. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    You're making me blush. And, from what you've posted, you are good. Maybe I should start a drawing challenge thread.

I've thrown away a lot more than I've kept. I have a few that were started, and likely won't be finished.

8. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    For next weekend, I'm going to do another "my steps" series. This is probably what I'm going to draw, or rather, a variation of it.
    [​IMG]
    red wing blackbird.jpg
    by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

9. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you start such a thread, I'll play! I might use oil pastels instead of pencil, if I can.

Well, that is generous of you - I'm trying. I'm used to playing with my photographs, using alternative photo techniques, so the very idea of making my own drawings is pretty foreign. Frankly, I only picked up oil pastels as another medium to use for hand coloring my photos. A few times lately, I've used my own photos more as references, just like you are suggesting here with the red-winged blackbird. I do find it helpful to have something to pull from, which is certainly different than painting over an image.

Haven't we all? The trash can is called "the learning bin." :icon_razz:

Here is one I did last month, oil pastels on cheap gray construction paper. I used gray paper so I wouldn't have to color the sky. :icon_mrgreen: Kind of a cop-out, but it was more of an attempt to draw snow in trees, which I'd never done. Also trying to show depth in a drawing, trying to fade out the right side tree as opposed to the little one in the foreground.

Wintry evergreen.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love these guys. As an aside, during the last week or so, a huge flock of them has shown up in my back yard and attacked the feeders like a swarm of locusts. I had 2 feeders stuffed to the brim - and within 48 hours, they were both empty. Eating me out of house and home! But they are a sight to see when they take off in a flock, those wings flashing. Gorgeous birds. :586:

11. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    That's a wonderful drawing, Terri. I've seen a couple RWBBs around here, but not many.

The narrower DoF is something I started trying when I was at Maryland. We got fussed at for not putting in the background when we were drawing models, so I started experimenting. I found I liked it best when I included some facial features of the first row of students beyond the model, then just barely added the rest (ovals and squared for heads and easels).

12. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit

Thank you. I never had a classic art class like that, with models and such. My brain is wired now to look at my drawings as if through a viewfinder. :lol: If it's not quite there, I know I didn't do a good job.