TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
(and anyone else who is interested)

Since you asked, here you go girl....

welcome.jpg

Okay here goes,

-The Blue- This is my "policies and information" Sheet.
On it I have my session fee, what it covers, and how many images they are guaranteed.
I then have information regarding my ordering policies..
- the $150 minimum order
- Images online for 7 days only
- the $50.00 republish fee if I have to republish their gallery
- images not ordered will be deleted
- images ordered are kept on file for two years
- all orders are to be paid in full before processing.
Also I have information regarding final prints:
- final order delivered in approx. 2 to 3 weeks
- All portraits are sprayed to protect against dust, light, etc.
Then on the back I have all my copyright information:
- I'll sue you
- I'll sue you
- I'll sue you
- just kidding. I politely state the laws concerning this.

Below that is a place for them to fill out all their info:
-Name
-Date
-Mailing Address
-Phone
-Children's names and ages

And then I have a VERY improtant sentence that reads "By signing this portrait agreement you are agreeing that you have fully read, understand, and agree to the information on this card." The I sign and date and have them sign and date it. I have a note below that that tells them they must sign and send this form back to me with their session fee before their date is officially reserved on my calendar. (I also tell them this on the phone so they know they need to read the info!)

This card is the most improtant because it protects me from people saying "well I didn't know" etc.

-The Brown Card- My "General Information" card
On this card I have all kinds of useful information that stops clients from calling me with a million and one common questions.
First I have Clothing Information
- simple goes a long way, no busy patterns
- no logos or words
- loose fitting clothes because kids dont like tight, binding clothes, usually they get irritated with this
- Hats and other accesories are welcomed and are ADORABLE and I mention that I have some if they dont have one
- Bare skin on newborns is classic and my fave but if you must put them in clothing, dont plan on too many clothing changes, they get pissed
- Trendy looks are cool and I can suggest websites if you want to buy them a new outfit for the shoot

Then I talk about the session and what to expect:
- I'll arrive early to bring in all my stuff, get setup
- I start by toucing base with you and getting to know what exactly you are looking for as to guide my shooting (an entire wall gallery or just an album, or cards or whatever)
- I like to take time to get to know your child and let them get used to me before shooting
- Please give me a little space with your child so they do not feel as though they have to "preform" for you with me

Then I have a blurb about not saying "Cheese" during my shoots. I tell parents that this word is not allowed during my shoot because it produces manufactured smiles..blah blah blah

-The Pink Sheet- The Welcome Sheet

On the front I have a personal welcome letter from me thanking them for their business and letting them know that I'm looking forward to meeting them. On the back I just have some of my pricing info. This one is easy.

The White Card- Gets them thinking...

This is actually a trifold that has information to get them thinking about things. I include tape measures (from the dollar store) in my welcome packets so that they can measure and see that an 11x14 isnt really that big. This sheet goes room by room and gets them thinking about what the want to order, where they want to hang it, and what size. It's mostly just a place for them to make notes and then they bring it with them to their ordering session.

So that's it. The cards I designed in photoshop and had them press printed through my lab. The envelopes I order from papersource.com. The whole thing costs me around $4 per packet. I only send it to people who have already booked and paid a deposit with me. (Otherwise I'd lose money sending these to people just inquiring!) Ofcourse I dress all the language up and make it sound pretty, but this is the main idea.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

P.S. We don't have green shag carpet in our house, my hubby wanted to be helpful and took this picture for me and for some reason decided to take it on our welcome mat. LOL sometimes he just makes me giggle.

Wow thanks for this post. Kinda gives me ideas for my clients.

I hope you spell guaranteed right in the brochure...lol.

Also...is it smart to delete the pics they don't order? What if they just can't get all of them, and want more later? I'd say keep even those ones...it's not hard to save a few jpegs on an external HD just in case.

I hope you spell guaranteed right in the brochure...lol.

Also...is it smart to delete the pics they don't order? What if they just can't get all of them, and want more later? I'd say keep even those ones...it's not hard to save a few jpegs on an external HD just in case.

This is actually a selling technique. I never actually delete them but if a client thinks you are going to delete them, they'll atleast buy a 4x6 of it just so they feel like that image is "safe." People cannot stand the idea of you deleting a picture of their precious baby!

What a great idea!

I am currently working on a price list/brochure. Is that what you use or do you have something different? I am currently using a 4.5x5 folded card that I order through my lab but I need to fit more info on it and it is too small. Any suggestions on that?

I need to work on a copyright form also to have people sign. What if there is not enough time for you to mail the form and for them to mail it back before the session?

Also, I was just curious on how people acted when you say you only keep what they order? It is a great idea. Would it be hard to change my way to doing that when I have been telling people I keep the images for a couple years? Do you ever get people saying, why don't you keep them all and burn them on a cd?

Thanks for sharing!!

What a great idea!

I am currently working on a price list/brochure. Is that what you use or do you have something different? I am currently using a 4.5x5 folded card that I order through my lab but I need to fit more info on it and it is too small. Any suggestions on that?

I need to work on a copyright form also to have people sign. What if there is not enough time for you to mail the form and for them to mail it back before the session?

Also, I was just curious on how people acted when you say you only keep what they order? It is a great idea. Would it be hard to change my way to doing that when I have been telling people I keep the images for a couple years? Do you ever get people saying, why don't you keep them all and burn them on a cd?

Thanks for sharing!!

Well let me start off by saying that when I first started, I was good with photos but BAD at business. I used to let people walk all over me and I made very little money. Then I decided NO MORE. Now, I teach my clients how they treat me, not vice versa. I mean, I'm nice, but I state my policies up front and lay it out there for them.

Changing my ordering structure to the one I have now has increased my sales three times. I used to do a lot of shoots where people spent a little money, and now I do way less shoots, but people spend more money. So, I work less and make the same or more.

People can't stand the thought of me deleting their child's photo. I think there is that "what if I change my mind in a month and wish I had ordered #whatever?!? Oh I better go ahead and order it now, just in case, that way she'll keep them on file."

It works for me. When people ask (and only one person has) why I do this, I explain that I shoot in RAW which is a crazy large file and I simply do not have enough room to keep everyone's RAW files. And they go "Oh okay." Simple as that.

But you have to get tough. When I do my ordering sessions, I ALWAYS make a slideshow DVD presentation to music and they ALWAYS buy it. (for $100) They'll ask "if I don't buy it, what are you going to do with it?" I tell them flat out, I'll destroy it and throw it out. Again, they cant stand the thought of it and always buy it.

Tricks like this is how you make money. I've learned that it isnt enough to be a good photographer, you have to be a good business person too.

BTW, my cards are simply 5x7 press printed flat cards through my lab.

I am definitely going to think about doing that.....and look into making a packet, or something like it. What are your thoughts on if I made it for e-mail and print? For those who know what they are doing with e-mail it would save on costs......

I'm glad you brought up the DVD thing.....I've been thinking about selling them for $100 with a minimum order....not sure what that is yet. But, what do you do about music??? RIght now when they come to order I show them a slideshow put to music and just hope noone realizes I shouldn't be using the music. But, I absolutely cannot stand dead silence!

I am definitely going to think about doing that.....and look into making a packet, or something like it. What are your thoughts on if I made it for e-mail and print? For those who know what they are doing with e-mail it would save on costs......

I'm glad you brought up the DVD thing.....I've been thinking about selling them for $100 with a minimum order....not sure what that is yet. But, what do you do about music??? RIght now when they come to order I show them a slideshow put to music and just hope noone realizes I shouldn't be using the music. But, I absolutely cannot stand dead silence!

I paid royaltes for three or four songs so that I can use them. I use the same songs for everyone...they never know! lol

I hate to keep bugging you, but I can't find on WHCC where you can buy songs???

Oh songs...I contacted whatever studio owned the rights to whatever songs I want to use. I know BMG is one of them.

oh ok....I will definitely look into that

So, I was reading over your 1st post again.... Where it said 150.00 minimum order, do you collect that ahead of time with the session fee? If not what keeps them from not ordering that much?

Most reactions

Back