My wife in the snow

I'm going to disagree with everyone on the pp temperature. IMO You took a picture out in the snow, where there is snow it's cold so looking at the picture being slightly on the cool side conveys the emotion of it being cold outside.

But, IMO again, i do think you shot too shallow. It's a cool effect but I find the snow covered hood out of focus to be distracting. Maybe f2.0?

Thanks - that was what i was going for and the reason why as well, rather than 'correct' white balance, but with my screen, it's hard for me to know if i'm seeing what everyone else is.

If i am, then artistic differences and all that, but maybe it looks like i shot it underwater on a properly calibrated screen - or at least rather over done. Hard for me to know!!

It is significantly less blue than a daylight white balance would have given me though - tried that out and that definitely was too blue -- the light temperature was v v cool and i let some of that show through, but not all...

As for too shallow DoF... first outing with 85L.... well, i wanted to try out that extra f stop i paid £1300 for :D

Last edited:
That's not a bad idea! Though I think the model might switch agencies if I try that ;)

That's a sad reflection on your level of dedication to the art of photography. :( ( ;) )

Maybe I can convince her that no-one else wants a model in their 30's.. :D

Don't bet on it. :cheers:

Even though my contracted model is past her theoretical sell by date she's still good for challenging photoshop projects (If she reads this I'm history!); yours appears to have loads of shelf life left. :lmao:

:biglaugh:

omg, you're so brave!

If i am, then artistic differences and all that, but maybe it looks like i shot it underwater on a properly calibrated screen - or at least rather over done. Hard for me to know!!

IMO without some form of ice in the picture if you went any cooler, it would be too much.

IMO without some form of ice in the picture if you went any cooler, it would be too much.

I think I agree. As they are there's a hint of Ice Queen (or maybe pale English rose who hasn't seen the sun since August) but it's not too excessive. If youpost more photos of this lovely lady we'll be better able to judge whether your screen needs calibrating or not.:D

Ah, I'm thick... She said 'I want to look like a snowqueen'... hence makeup on dog walk... Guess if i'd mentioned that...? . Your icequeen comment made me re-read and realise there was a significant lack of explaination as to what we were going for with the processing..

As for more photos, she was a bit busy this morning, but managed to snap one of her in the bath....

6065410695_66780dfab8_b.jpg

(and yes i know this one is v warm ;) )

Last edited:
ok, here we go, this one is basically SOOC and looks pretty balanced on my screen... possibly a tidy touch cool. Let me know if it's not as described lol

img09612.jpg

More of a low-effort snapshot than a posed shot, so no C&C on this one please lol...

Last edited:
Ah, I'm thick... She said 'I want to look like a snowqueen'... hence makeup on dog walk... Guess if i'd mentioned that...? . Your icequeen comment made me re-read and realise there was a significant lack of explaination as to what we were going for with the processing..

As for more photos, she was a bit busy this morning, but managed to snap one of her in the bath....

6065410695_66780dfab8_b.jpg

(and yes i know this one is v warm ;) )

There's nothing quite so sexy as leaving a little bit to the imagination. ;)

It seems like your calibration is pretty close to my calibration. :D

Don't worry about the temp for the first images. They're photographs, pieces of art, they don't have to be hyper-realistic. As for the observation about the 2nd shot being very cinematic, I couldn't agree more. Good stuff!

I really like the second one. Also like the tub one.

Well if my screen is more or less ok then that's good to know, and although the shots might be too blue for some peoples tastes, they're as I wanted them and at least I know we're all looking at the same thing ;)

Many thanks to everyone for all for the comments - esp Granddad!

Seen a lot of brutally honest feedback on this board so was somewhat nervous about putting anything up on here at all, but just come back to DLSRs, having spent a couple of years with a G12 then an Olympus Pen - got a 5D2 just before xmas, and 85L a week or so ago and so excited by my new toys the need to share won out in the end :blushing:

It's coming up to the weekend, so hopefully I'll have some more shots coming soon!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back