Myoozick!

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious what type of music people listen to and what songs have had the greatest impact in their lives. I'm a child of the 80's so naturally, I love 80's music. Back then, I was a punk---long (LONG) hair, earrings, steel toed biker boots, punk clubs, slam dancing, thrash, etc. I outgrew that phase eventually, but I still have my old vinyl record collection that I treasure. Now I like a lot of reggae, jazz, country/bluegrass and anything that's upbeat with layered rhythms.

What music defined your life?

Here are some of my favorites: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

1. The Smiths - Oscillate Wildly (perhaps the greatest instrumental ever)?

2. Morrissey - Everyday is Like Sunday:

3. Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax

4. Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia

5. Slayer - Raining Blood

Last edited by a moderator:
75 views and zero comments? Wow.

I'm a child of the 80's and hate 80's music :)
As for music, I listen to pretty much whatever.

Thanks for making me relive the 80's .....NOT!

My musical tastes seem to change like the weather - maybe that is good, maybe not.

Mostly I listen to modern rock.

EDIT: oh wait, I see you are from Montgomery County where I lived once upon a time. If you are old enough then you should remember some 80's early 90's music that I listened to Kix and Childs Play. Seems when I mention it to people from other parts of the country, they have never heard of either.

Thanks for making me relive the 80's .....NOT!

My musical tastes seem to change like the weather - maybe that is good, maybe not.

Mostly I listen to modern rock.

EDIT: oh wait, I see you are from Montgomery County where I lived once upon a time. If you are old enough then you should remember some 80's early 90's music that I listened to Kix and Childs Play. Seems when I mention it to people from other parts of the country, they have never heard of either.

They sound familiar but I'm not from Monkey County. Only been living here since 2000. I was born and raised in South Texas. Moved here in 2000 for school--it was supposed to be 1 year here and then back to Texas, but I got a job and now it's been 12 years. DC Metro is a black hole...

I listen to music that mostly no-one has heard of... Unless they're in the UK or have a pretty underground music sense. I don't really care for music with lyrics, other than Iron & Wine, mainly because Sam Beam knows how to tell a story unlike anyone else.

65DOS is getting more recognition as of late. They toured the US with The Cure not too long ago. I almost got to see them live when I was in the UK, but I was a day late to London. :(

For fans of faster paced instrumental glitch-fest, guitar drums and bass.

I also really enjoy slower stuff, like Explosions in the Sky (from West Texas). They've got two guitar players, a bass player, and a drummer. They also did ~90% of the Friday Night Lights soundtrack. EitS goes to yard sales and finds crappy instruments and makes beautiful music with them, just for the lulz.

Lastly, I enjoy new Jazzy kind of music. Bonobo is one of my favorites. His studio work is done solely by himself, composed with various midi devices, but you almost couldn't tell. The drum work he has in his music sounds like someone playing drums in a studio. I'd really like to see someone play the drums to this song in person. Or I could just see one of his live performances where he has a whole giant band.

I'd say this song may be a bit too fast to be considered Jazz, but oh well.

Well, that about sums up the artists that changed my musical tastes.

I don't think I really listen to enough music to be classified easily. That and I tend to listen to what most consider strange stuff
Still I've a OverreadW account and that seems to show I'm not the only one to listen to the stuff I listen too :)

But as an idea - Enya, film music, Kitaro, classical would be starting points. Some samples:

MISH if you're reading

Yes I geeked out on the last 3 samples :p

I discovered jazz and blues some time ago and have never looked back. I started where Tyler is by listening to rock heavily influenced by jazz and/or blues.

Buffalo Springfeild
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Gov't Mule
Pretty much anithing with good guitar liks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back