Nailed the lighting--must post!

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry, I had to. I've been trying to get the lighting right for too long and when I finally got what I think is right, I just had to post. C&C if you wish..

Thanks for looking.

http:// AEB Original by jwbryson1, on Flickr

The lighting is good, the pose, not so much. The color seems a tad off as well. Here's a very quick edit.

$3hkkj6ra.jpg

Tex, you made her look hypothermic. Are you on a calibrated monitor?

Tex's edit looks fine on my monitor...original was off a tad

I read the title as "lightning". I am now going to search for lightning photos. However, the edit texkam did was better than the original and her chin does need to be down some.

Tex's edit looks fine on my monitor...original was off a tad
Same here. Original is a tad pink, on calibrated monitor, and iPad. Texkams looks good.

I'd be happy with the lighting here. I don't do portraiture, so, you know, grain of salt.

Pallycow, Parker219, Bitter Jeweler, thanks for the calibration vote of confidence. ;) I was quickly trying to pull back the red a bit.

For what it's worth, the first 4 Canon digital cameras I've owned tend to go a little overboard on reds when there's a lot of red in the picture to start with. It's too soon to tell if my new 5D3 does the same. Perhaps since I've switched from JPG to RAW about a year ago, I don't see it any more, too.

I'm guessing that whoever did the JPG-making coding for the chip in the cameras likes to 'warm up' everything a bit, and when it sees a lot of red, goes overboard.

Lighting looks good to me; what did you use

I used 24x24 soft boxes and YN 560 Mark II speedlights fired with Phottix Strato II radio triggers. My camera was a Nikon D90 and my lens was the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6. Key right 45* at 1/32 power and fill just to the left of center fired at 1/128 power.

I did the edits at work on my uber-CRAPPY old Dell monitor and I actually pulled back the red a lot and pushed the yellow tint a bit because I do tend to see an oversaturation of reds in my shots. But, it seems that maybe it needed even more. I need to see Tex's edits on my good home monitor tonight to see what was done. On my work monitor, it looks bad, but my monitor suck, so...

Thanks for the comments!! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back