Narrowing down my camera search... help?

Samanthaaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to figure out what the big differences in the Nikon d3200, d3300 and d5200 are. I'm looking for a good camera like these but not sure what one to really go with. They seem to be in the same price range and do most of the same things. Anyone have suggestions or tips?

On-line resources like snapsortdotcom,etc. can show the tech spec differences. On-line reviews can help. Thom Hogan has in-depth on-line reviews of many Nikon cameras, and is a very experienced Nikon-centric author and reviewer whose opinions of cmera performance and lens performance I trust to a high degree.

Older, prior-generation cameras from Nikon are often discounted quite heavily, both in retail stores and on-line. In general, newer cameras have a bit better sensors than earlier models. The D5xxx series has JUST been updated to a touch screen, which many reviewers feel is a huge step up on that type of camera body, making it easier to adjust important settings, as well as to do touch-to-focus, like an iPhone. The video specifications have changed as the cameras have been iterated, but it's true--the D3xxx and D5xxx models are sort of similar in many respects.

My suggestion is if you want the best "deal" balanced against the latest technology, then it makes sense to buy the camera model that is one generation back from the current one; if you want the absolute best 3xxx or 5xxx or 7xxx series Nikon, buy the current model.

If you are coming from a smartphone, compact digitial camera, or an older d-slr, like a D80 or D90 era model, the newest cameras in either the 3xxx or 5xxx lines will be pretty capable machines.

D3200 vs D3300 vs D5200

Tough one, between the D3200 vs D3300 get the D3300, these are close but I think the D3300 is worth the little extra you will pay to get it over the D3200
D5200 vs D3300 is more complicated, the D5xxx is positioned higher then the D3xxx camera line but the D3300 is more modern has a newer processor and newer sensor but the differences are very small.
The D5200 has the swivel screen while the D3300 has fixed screen.
You are getting few more goodies with the older D5200
I dont know what is more important for you, I own the D3300 and I love it, its a very basic camera, very little added to it but its producing excellent pictures, I am very impressed with its low light capabilities and overall I would chose the newer D3300 over the older D5200 but thats me.
You cant go wrong either way, sorry I couldnt be able to be of more help but these cameras are very close each with some advantage over the other so I will have to leave the decision to you.

I do want to add that lenses are far more important then the camera body, getting good lenses will have significantly more impoact on your photography then choosing one of these 2 cameras.

Goodguy is one of the posters who keeps himself informed on the feature sets of Nikon's individual models, more so than many other members here do.

Thanks! Both of these replies gave me awesome input. I'm still doing my research and comparisons but thanks!
Are the lenses interchangeable for the d3300 and d3200?

Thanks! Both of these replies gave me awesome input. I'm still doing my research and comparisons but thanks!
Are the lenses interchangeable for the d3300 and d3200?
First I want to add that Derrel is one of the people I always go to if I have questions about photgraphy in general and camera/lenses. He is a fountain of knowledge and a person that is always happy to share his knowledge!

All lenses that will work on the D3200 will also work on the D3300 and D5200
You can use every lens Nikon used with an F mount on these cameras but some will not auto focus.
For the lenses to auto focus on cameras from Nikon's D3xxx and D5xxx you need the lenses to have in lens auto focus motor.
Most modern lenses Nikon is selling today has these lenses only very few older design "D" lenses will not auto focus on these bodies.

If you are not sure or feel you need help about what lenses to get you can post a question here.
Also if you want you are more then welcome to send me a PM and I will be more then happy to try and help you.

Awesome! I'm new to this forum so that definitely helps me! I'm still doing some research and testing things out. I'll let you know if I come across more questions and post when I decide!

I'll let you know if I come across more questions ..
You sure will have, even if you haven't thought of them yet.

The "entry level" Nikons are designed without a focusing motor in the body, so they will want lenses with the focusing motor in the lens. Those lenses are designated "-S" for "silent wave". Any entry-level kit that includes the body and one or more lenses will include -S lenses.

The lens mounts in any Nikon that you are likely to encounter will be the "F" lens mount which was the same mount back in the film days. The older lenses will mount on newer cameras, but will not function automatically the way the newer lenses will.

If you have narrowed your search to one or two possibilities, go online and go to the user's manual for each model. In there you will find the compatibility table for lenses. Most likely, you will be offered a "kit" of camera, one or two lenses, and possibly a bunch of other stuff. Discount the "other stuff" and concentrate on just what camera model it is and what lenses. The "other stuff" is mostly cheap filler stuff designed to entice the beginning buyer.

Great! Thanks for the advice. I have narrowed down quite a bit and will do some research on the lenses and the user manuals

The usefulness of an AF motor on a half frame (APS-C, 24x16mm, Nikon calls this "DX") camera is limited anyway.

ALL lenses which need an AF motor in the lens are full frame (small format, 36x24mm, Nikon calls this "FX"). Since the 1.5x crop factor applies, for example a 50mm lens on half format will give the field of view of a 75mm lens on full format.

Additionally, using a full frame lens on a half frame camera means the lens is twice as big, heavy and often much more expensive.

It should be added that using an AF instead of AF-S (the former needs the motor in the camera, the later has a builtin motor) lens on a Nikon will yield various issues:

- Using the external motor isnt silent (thus AF-S for "silent")
- Using the external motor isnt as precise; small movements might result in misfocus
- Using the external motor means the focus ring on lens itself will often move, too

Thus the builtin motor is really not that important, unless you plan to move to full frame soon and thus only want to buy full frame lenses and plan to get some AF lenses (after all theres plenty of good glass to be found there, some of which dont have an AF-S counterpart in the first place).

The usefulness of an AF motor on a half frame (APS-C, 24x16mm, Nikon calls this "DX") camera is limited anyway.

ALL lenses which need an AF motor in the lens are full frame (small format, 36x24mm, Nikon calls this "FX"). Since the 1.5x crop factor applies, for example a 50mm lens on half format will give the field of view of a 75mm lens on full format.

Additionally, using a full frame lens on a half frame camera means the lens is twice as big, heavy and often much more expensive.

It should be added that using an AF instead of AF-S (the former needs the motor in the camera, the later has a builtin motor) lens on a Nikon will yield various issues:

- Using the external motor isnt as precise; small movements might result in misfocus
- Using the external motor means the focus ring on lens itself will often move, too

Thus the builtin motor is really not that important, unless you plan to move to full frame soon and thus only want to buy full frame lenses and plan to get some AF lenses (after all theres plenty of good glass to be found there, some of which dont have an AF-S counterpart in the first place).
What ?
AF-S lenses have a built in lens motor.
AF/AF-D lenses require the use of a camera body with a built-in motor (such as d7x00 series or all FX cameras)

"ALL lenses which need an AF motor in the lens are full frame" ==> No, Nikon makes lenses for all their cameras in the AF-S with the AF motor in the lens. FX, DX, the 1 cameras, etc.

"Additionally, using a full frame (FX) lens on a half frame (APS-C / DX) camera means the lens is twice as big, heavy and often much more expensive." ==> Not really. There are lens options out there.
The 50mm AF-D lens is 1/2 the cost, 1/3 the size of the AF-S lens. Both are available new.
Comparing equivalent FX to DX AF-S lenses will be different as the DX lens uses smaller glass elements as it creates a smaller image to the smaller sensor. This is why they are smaller and cost less.

It is true that specialty lenses such as the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 are FX designed lenses and there is no equivalent DX lens for comparison.

The only good comparison is the 85mm/1.8G at $480 vs the 85mm f/3.5G DX lens which is $530. But most FX lenses are more expensive as they are designed for a larger sensor.

Here's an visualization of sensor sizes, for Full Frame (FX) and APS-C (DX) cameras and other cameras.
A FX / Full Frame camera such as the d6x0, d7x0, d8x0 etc has a sensor of the 36x24. The DX is a APS-C sized sensor which is are 28x18.6mm ==> https://lensvid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Sensors-size-01-01.jpg

I use AF/AF-D lenses all the time.
here's a list of available (as new) lenses from Nikon. They include AF-S, AF-D and also AIS (manual focus) lenses.
==> DSLR Lenses | Shop All NIKKOR Lenses for DSLR Cameras| Nikon

"- Using the external motor isnt as precise; small movements might result in misfocus" => How did you conclude this?

"- Using the external motor means the focus ring on lens itself will often move, too" ==> I don't understand your point here ? Newer lenses have focus override. But I think on the couple I have the focus ring moves too unless I grab it. On AF/AFD lenses you cannot do focus override unless you turn disengage the focus motor. AF/AF-D lenses dont' have all the modern high tech gadgetry, as they mostly were designed a while ago. Thus they generally cost less than equivalent AF-S lenses.

AF-S lenses are generally larger than AF/AF-D lenses as they have the built in lens motor. Consequently camera bodies without a built-in focus motor are smaller which are the d3x00 and d5x00 series.

I'm trying to figure out what the big differences in the Nikon d3200, d3300 and d5200 are. I'm looking for a good camera like these but not sure what one to really go with. They seem to be in the same price range and do most of the same things. Anyone have suggestions or tips?

My best advice, whichever model you decide to go with, consider buying refurbished to save money for all the other gear you're going to need/want. There are great deals out there on refurb equipment and I can say based on experience (I have bought 2 refurb bodies and several used/refurb lenses) that you really can't distinguish them from brand new. Also, if you shop around, some sites will expand the 90 day refurb warranty to a full year which is what you get with a new body so not really much of a risk factor. The last refurb body I bought had under 100 shutter count when it arrived.

im reading this wondering if you were trying to as be confusing and misleading as possible on purpose...

My best advice, whichever model you decide to go with, consider buying refurbished to save money for all the other gear you're going to need/want. There are great deals out there on refurb equipment and I can say based on experience (I have bought 2 refurb bodies and several used/refurb lenses) that you really can't distinguish them from brand new. Also, if you shop around, some sites will expand the 90 day refurb warranty to a full year which is what you get with a new body so not really much of a risk factor. The last refurb body I bought had under 100 shutter count when it arrived.

That was awesome advice. I was actually coming on here to ask that specific question. Does anyone have suggestions on where to buy GOOD quality used equipment?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back