Natural Light portrait

JenR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would really love some feedback on this photo. How is the crop? Too tight?

SS: 1/60 sec
f 5.6
70 mm focal length
02_12_07wDSC_2104web.jpg

PLEASE be brutally honest. I can can take it and I want to improve!! :mrgreen:

Thanks!!

~jen

I actually like this a lot. I'm normally against chopping off people's heads, but it seems to work well in this case. Also, the color of her sweater and the background clash nicely. :thumbup:

I think a lot of people might say the crop is too tight across the top but I really don't think it is in this particular shot. Her face is a little off center, which is good of course. I like it.

I think it's ok, but it can use some post processing. I took a stab at it and Put a gaussian blur on it to give it that soft focus look, a vignette to attract the eye more towards the girl, i blurred the background more, and tweaked the saturation. After I did that, i put the border around it.

02_12_07wDSC_2104webcopy.jpg

Looks good after the processing by Sw1tchFX, the cropped head really distracted me in the original though. I would still prefer a looser crop across the top.

Wow, that looks great. I like the softness of the image with the blur. The only thing that really bothers me is the one hair across the right eye.

I like the edited version but I'm not too sure about how much I like the blur. The vignette and saturation look very good.

i like the org. photo

here's my go at it.. I cropped it even more, but that's just me, I like extreme crops. I gave her some glow, got rid of the hair and some other minor flaws, desaturated slightly, burnt edges, NeatImage and added frame. ;)

filtered.jpg

I think it's ok, but it can use some post processing. I took a stab at it and Put a gaussian blur on it to give it that soft focus look, a vignette to attract the eye more towards the girl, i blurred the background more, and tweaked the saturation. After I did that, i put the border around it.

I like the soft look you created, and i applied the gaussian blur as well, but this is a nice trick... erase the blur from the eyes and mouth/smile as well as any jewelry the person is wearing. esp. with the eyes, it makes them POP! and the vignette is always good for portraits. i didn't do anything w/ the saturation, but enhanced some of the darker tones in curves:

naturallight.jpg

I love the little girl but I think there are 3 things that bother me about this picture.

IMO,
1) It is slightly overexposed, making too much of her skin, too light - it looks bleached not porcelain. All the skin detail has been lost.

2) The shadows are a little deep on the right side of the image

3) There is too much space on the right that is non-contributory

So I toned it down a little, opened up the shadows some and cropped off the right a little. In the best of all worlds, I would like to have had more on the top.

girl021207wdsc2104webvecf8.jpg

Thank you all so much for the comments and edits! I really like all of them. I will have to remember fstop23's 'trick' to make the eyes POP.

~jen

I like fstop's edit, but I agree with Traveler on the crop. The close crop on the top alone doesn't work so much for me, especially with all the extra space elsewhere.

naturallight-mod.jpg

It's overall a bit tight, but the rest of the image now matches the top crop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back