Natural light question

prsheba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a newbie and tried to find an answer via searching the forums but unsuccessfully.

I was at a friend's birthday party. She was opening gifts in front of the patio but inside. However there was a lot of natural light filling the room. But my pictures look a bit hazy and the outer edges were bright white - no color definition.

I shoot with a Nikon D50 - WB was direct sunlight - 50mm/1.8 lens Nikkor AF

Should I have used a flash? I'm sorry I don't have a picture to post (I'm at work..shhhh)

hard to tell, maybe you had a wider range of brightness than you camera can handle? maybe some parts of the images are jts badly overexposed?

wohaa.. 500mm on an aps-c sized sensor appears very long for this sort of photography.

i don't think it would be direct sunlight - probably more like cloudy.
Probably a better bet to leave it at Auto

And 500mm???...that's a HUGE room!!!
I guess you meant 50mm!!!

hard to tell, maybe you had a wider range of brightness than you camera can handle? maybe some parts of the images are jts badly overexposed?

wohaa.. 500mm on an aps-c sized sensor appears very long for this sort of photography.
oops I meant to say 50mm/1.8

oops I meant to say 50mm/1.8

my brain started already wondering how come you have a f/1.8 that long :p

fill flash might help with your problem. but i am not sure i really understand the shooting situation and the outcome.

Seeing pictures would help in this ALOT

Any filters on your lens? Also did you happen to be in the sunlight? The haze would seem to be from light on the front of your lens, Im guessing you didn't have a hood?

When you get home, post a picture and this problem will get solved much sooner.

Seeing pictures would help in this ALOT

ok..finally home..here is the picture..any ideas what I did wrong?
DSC_0129.jpg

shooting data...
Focal Length: 50mm
Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/25 sec - F/2.5
Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance: Direct sunlight
AF Mode: AF-A

That's lens flare and blown out highlights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back