Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nature & Wildlife(9 Viewing)
For all your outdoor shots, which may include your encounters with wildlife. Post for discussion and feedback, including general critique.

I have a problem with the use of the word, Wildlife and Nature in a forum where a large percentage of the shots are from zoos, pets or captive shoots.

The use of the word wildlife makes it sound that the subjects should be wild, living a wild life. The use of the word nature suggests that the animal or subject is in a (or thee) natural environmental. A zoo, pet or captive shoot is neither of these things.

I therefore promose we have a seperate section in which people can post there zoo shots or people threads should be tagged with a "Zoo" tag in the thread title. Same would go for captive shoots with for instance birds of prey.

Rename wildlife and nature to reflect captive animals if you want; but I don't see any real reason to start further subdividing the group; at least not on a site like TPF where its very open with its subject groupings. If we were on a dedicated nature website then yes.

edit - also the concept of captivity can be complicated - heck most "wildlife" in African safari's is captive (its a big area, but its still walled in) and is also managed just like captive animals. An extreme example; but whilst a zoo is nice and easy to identify some other captive enclosures can be very boarderline in defining if its captive or wild.

Splitting hairs I may be, but you must see my point.

Most reactions

Back