ND Filter options

mkoop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I have run into some situations where I wanted to use longer exposures during the day which would call for me to use a ND filter. I was hoping to get some additional opinions...

Price is not really an issue, I really like the LEE filter system and this would be my ideal setup. Has anyone used the variable ND filters (I know Ive seen one by Hoya at least, not sure what brands I should also compare / consider). I am just very skeptical about variable ND and think I would prefer to use a layering method similar to the LEE system.

The problem is the majority of my time is spent on landscapes while on multiple day backpacking trips. Which really makes the LEE system far less ideal to me.

Does anyone have experience they could share in regards to the VND? I have no experience so my skepticism is unfounded, just based on some old reviews I came across while researching.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trade my Singh-Ray VND for all the tea in China.

Thanks, am looking into one of these now. I see the normal size and the thin model, does anyone know if both function at the same level or is there a trade off for the thinner model?

See if you can contact @D-B-J ... He has the Lee system and takes some gorgeous shots, including lots of landscape. From what I've read on the system, it's fairly compact. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to throw it in a small bag that you'd probably already have with you while hiking.

Thanks, am looking into one of these now. I see the normal size and the thin model, does anyone know if both function at the same level or is there a trade off for the thinner model?

They function the same. The thin version has no front threads so a lens cap won't have anything to grab on to.

Thanks all, its not as much the compactness that is a concern with the LEE system as I'm sure it becomes very manageable. My concern would be the overall weight and lack of information around it that I've found. When I'm already carrying 5+ days of supplies on my back things start to add up quickly. If I add too much weight in a filter system I may have to leave a lens or piece of gear behind, so I have to consider trade offs etc.

I've searched a lot and can't find much information on the weight of the filters in the LEE System (I've seen *packaged* weights around 6.4oz - 1lb) which would be fine, my concern is the filters themselves adding weight quickly. I haven't been able to find any information on how much a set of 5 may weigh with the mount. Hoping to find a kit in a local store over the weekend and get my hands on to get a better idea on some of my concerns.

Why dont you email Lee and ask?

From a quick look at amazon the resin filters semed to weigh 91g and the big and little stopper 141g.

Variable ND filters use two polarizers which block more or less light depending on how you rotate them. These are great with "normal" to "telephoto" lenses, but at wide angles (particularly very wide angles) you get a side effect due to the way polarization works.

The amount of light blocked by a polarizer depends on it's angle as it comes through the filter. The trouble with a very wide lens is that you have light coming from a broad range of angles. That means some regions of your image get a stronger amount of blocking... and some weaker. With a single polarizer you get a darkish zone where it's the strongest and that tapers off to weaker areas. It's sort of a "band" of darkness.

Since a Variable ND is two ND filters twisted together, each of the polarizers has it's own dark zone and as you twist them, you can get an "X" shaped pattern. Again... you won't notice this is "normal" or "long" focal lengths... it's mostly a "short" (wide angle) problem. The wider the angle, the more you'll notice it.

Since a non-variable ND is really just a solid tint (no polarization) it doesn't have this issue no matter how wide the lens.

My gradient ND filters are all Lee and also have their "big stopper" (10 stop). I also have a several B+W brand (thread on) ND's and polarizers (2, 3, and 10 stop). I don't own a "Variable" ND (mostly because I'm totally covered by every possible combination I could want.)

Most reactions

Back