ND Filter Suggestions Wanted:

RayandPaula

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Canon 7d with a EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 Lens. I'd like to know what ND filters that you are using for both stills and video such as manufacturer, stops, etc.. I'm basically looking for a couple good all around ND's. Your help will be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray

I've never heard of an ND filter being used for VIDEO, but I suppose it could work. Among manufacturers, Hoya, B+W, and Heliopan are generally considered good quality products. If you want to go crazy, Lee & Singh-Ray sell some higher priced items. You can go two ways - square drop in filters that fit a frame (such as Cokin), or round screw-ons that are sized to your front element diameter. Both have their good and bad points. If I'm using a GRAD ND, I prefer the drop in for more precise placement.

Regardless of form factor or manufacturer, if you get 2 ND2s, an ND4 and an ND8, you be able to mix 'n' match a bunch of stops, verging on the ridiculous - 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16...

ND filters are used for all kinds of purposes. So which filter(s) depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to shoot a high-contrast scenic (as in bright sky, dark ground) then a graduated ND filter is appropriate. If you're trying to "remove" people from a plaza, then a 10-stop ND (with tripod, shutter release) may work well. If you're trying to get motion blur with a thin DOF on a bright day, then a 3-6 stop ND filter may the the answer. So... the solution depends on the problem you're trying to solve.

PS. please don't double-post.

Hi,
Awesome info.! Thanks to both of you for your help. Currently looking at the Hoya thin Pro ND's. It appears that the thin profiles would be a great benefactor for stacking. Sorry about the double post........ Thanks, Ray

Most reactions

New Topics

Back