ND Filters, pink tinge....

Senzafine1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got these great nd filter for christmas, but when I use them my pictures get a weird pink tinge or glow to them....
Can anyone tell me WHY this happens?? I have used my friends camera with nd filter,and those images did not turn pink...
Could it be that the filters are low quality??

-Johnny

Johnny,

What cameras, what filters?
And ABSOLUTELY yes, it could be and probably is the low quality of said filters.

I'm assuming these are Cokin gel-filters or at least Cokin-style. The magenta cast is common, and can normally be controlled fairly easily. Get a piece of matte-black craft foam (Wal-mart, $1.00/sheet) and form it into a "lens hood" which shades the end of the lens barrel and the filter. You'll find this problem is normally at its worst when the lens is pointed toward/near the sun and/or when the sun can strike the edges of the filter.

I have a 7 stop custom made ND filter and it is basically unusable except for B&W because of the STRONG magenta cast it leaves. But I also have a B+W 6 stop which costs about twice the price ($180) that leaves no noticeable cast.

I'm assuming these are Cokin gel-filters or at least Cokin-style. The magenta cast is common, and can normally be controlled fairly easily. Get a piece of matte-black craft foam (Wal-mart, $1.00/sheet) and form it into a "lens hood" which shades the end of the lens barrel and the filter. You'll find this problem is normally at its worst when the lens is pointed toward/near the sun and/or when the sun can strike the edges of the filter.

This could be handy. I've also got some magenta "D" filters (cheap, Cokin-style) but I've just been fixing it in PP until I can get better filters. Foam lens hood you say...

Thanks for all the help :)
I use a Canon 50 D and the filters are a made in china knock off of the Cokin P series, made of plastic
The question is; what filters should I buy instead? One that doesn't give all my pictures massive magenta!

-J

Most reactions

Back