ND/ GND filters... what do you use, whats neccessary?

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my D7000 came in yesterday, so it's time to get some neccessary accessories. The only filter I have is a circular polarizer I had on my D40. What GND filters/what stops do you guys use? I do a lot of landscape/outside shots and need something to help with blown out skies, etc. I've done some research, saw some suggestions from other threads, but wanted to get a consensus.

Don't want to spend $300 on a set of 3, but don't wanna cheap out and spend $15 on ebay. :confused: I'd rather get a decent one that will be suitable, and add more as I can.

Also, what lens hoods do you guys use? Currently all I have is the 18-55, 55-200 and a 50/1.8, but plan to be adding a 11-16 tokina soon.

I use a set of NDs by B+W. What stops you need really depends on what you are doing. If you want a shallow DOF in extremly bright sunlight, a weak ND will be nice. If you want to blur motion (e.g. of running water), you might need stronger ones.

Then of course a polariser.

And, I really love them although I am often too lazy to get them out of the bag: The LEE Camera Filters System - Includes Filter Holders, Adaptor Rings and Lens Hoods gradient filters from the LEE-filter system.

I am afraid such a setup will not come cheap.

Last edited:
For G-NDs you really need the gel-style filters such as Cokin, Lee, or Singh-Ray. Cokin are cheap, decent, but hard to find right now. They will tend to impart a magenta hue to your images when shooting toward/near the sun, but this is easily controlled/eliminated by using a large lens hood. Lee and Singh-Ray are top-of-the-line, but pricey, and for $300, you'll be lucky to get the mounting bracket, never mind the filters. Your best bet will be to look on eBay/Craig's List, etc.

I have a selection of both hard and soft-edged G-NDs in 1, 2, and 3 stop densitities. The type of edge refers to the transition; a hard edge goes from full density to clear in a very short distance, whereas a soft-edge transitions over a much longer distance. Hard edges are good for straight, even subjects, say where you want to split the scene at an ocean horizon. Soft edges are better for uneven splits, such as mountain ranges.

Most reactions

Back