ND Grad filters

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
I've got this idea for a shot. It's going to be taken during the day and I need a three to five second exposure. Anyone have any idea what kind of ND Grad I'd need to pull this off, given murky UK weather?

Rob

An ND Filter is a Neutral Density filter that simply reduces the light entering the lens/camera without adding or removing any colour.

A normal ND filter is the same density all the way across it and an ND Gradient filter will increase in density from one side to the other e.g to darken a sky without darkening the landscape.

Gradient filters can also be coloured to turn overcast skies blue or pale sunsets red for example.

Rob said:
Just flat ones, maybe one grad for the sky balance.

Rob

Rob, if you're looking to balance the exposure of the sky to a darker foreground use a graduated ND filter, you can darken the sky bringing it closer to the foreground exposure.

For anyone that is unfamiliar, this is an example of a ND filter produced shot. I believe this was mid morning with a 4x ND filter.

d0c25ae6.jpg

Can using a polariser prodeuce a similar eduction in light, but to a lesser extent? Maybe only 1 stop? Or does a polariser alter the colour entering the camera?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back