Nearby Building

tyler_h

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, first time posting something on here. Went out on the weekend to a few locations around town but wasn't really happy with any of them. Here's one to destroy... another couple of the better ones on flickr if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance for any comments or criticisms you have.

2011_03_20_5683 by tyler_s_hamilton, on Flickr

Well, this next is getting a bit better reception so I'll throw it in the ring.
I personally like it because of the motion in the water, but am not sure the composition help it at all. The water motion was a fluke it seems; couldn't get another shot to come out with the swirls from that or any other angles...

2011_03_20_5594 by tyler_s_hamilton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Flickr always seems to apply a lot of sharpening when it resizes. Learnt early on to make sure I didn't over-sharpen but only stays true for full size...

Thanks for the comment. I was beginning to wonder if it was so bad no one was going to post anything lol.

I have no such apprehensions...some times when i dig out old posts with zero responses, i used to wondering at the quality of the images there; so nothing can be said; it just happens that way ;)

PS: a second request may work; also members are bump-sensitive too ;)

I think I would've liked this photo more with more sky. The little bit of sky I see hear is pretty cool looking. For me, the tree congests the image, if you know what I mean. So possibly a different angle, maybe a little closer? Good exposure and colors though :)

I think I would've liked this photo more with more sky. The little bit of sky I see hear is pretty cool looking. For me, the tree congests the image, if you know what I mean. So possibly a different angle, maybe a little closer? Good exposure and colors though :)

Thanks for the comment. The colours were the motivation for location. A street lamp place just out of frame on the top left mean some nice greens so I thought I'd try including them. As for the sky, the patch in the gap is the most interesting. The rest is almost all clouds (you saw the other angle on Flickr...).

Also, subtle bump for more comments...

It's an ocean bath cut into the base of the cliffs. Off to the left of frame waves were crashing in (about 10-15 metres spray up when they hit the rocks). Considered a pretty dangerous spot with lots of debate about whether people should be able to use them.

What a pity to see the rusty railing compete with what you considered your primary subject in your second photo! And you say the swirls were not to be had from any other point of view? Whyever not? Anyhow: the way it is now, it doesn't really work, as the railing is not even leading towards your intended subject, but striking right through it.

How many different light sources did you have when you took the first photo?
Is the light on the house from the setting sun? Or is that light from yet another street light?

How many different light sources did you have when you took the first photo?
Is the light on the house from the setting sun? Or is that light from yet another street light?

Definitely not the sun cause it was around 1-2am then I think (can't be bothered grabbing in unstripped copy (always found Flickr weird in doing that) to check).

There is the street light coming through the leaves just oof top left - a fairly white light.
To camera left but well behind there is light from sodium lamps in the park coming through the trees lining the road; that is what you see in the middle of the building.
Framed tight on the right as street lights and traffic lights are visible around the building.

Fantastic

Thanks. Glad you like them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back