"Neat" Photos

It's really interesting to read all the input-- I'm glad I made this thread.
(Now I waited too late, and there's too many comments to individually respond to-- but I've decided that it was probably just me that night. :p)

All in all, I agree with Alex-- I don't like borders on my own photos, but that's just because everyone has a certain style; some to which borders apply to, and some to which they don't.

I have been concitering doing the border thing for the pictures I get that are actually good enough to call decient. I am in the middle on borders in general some times it just adds a bit of flair to an image, but is not always needed and or not appropriate. I intend to expariment with this at some point but, as it stands putting a border on any of the bulk of my images is just literally stupid.

As far as watermarking, to be brutally honest I have been doing that as of late as a means of advertising for a site in general via my gallery. I am even putting them on pictures I really don't wan't to take credit for and/or are not even in the gallery they point to. :blushing:

Care to elaborate?

In painting the edge of the canvas limits the creative act. You can only paint up to the edge.
In Photography it's different. Why and how? ;)

And a frame (seperate to the edge of the image) is an act of enclosure. Think of the reasons for framing an image and you will get an insight into the message it is giving out.

In painting the edge of the canvas limits the creative act. You can only paint up to the edge.
In Photography it's different. Why and how? ;)

And a frame (seperate to the edge of the image) is an act of enclosure. Think of the reasons for framing an image and you will get an insight into the message it is giving out.

Huh? I look at my snaps and it seems the edge of the sensor/film frame limits my creative act too ... so what's the dif? I've tried to be creative beyond the edge in photography but the camera just doesn't seem to capture anything ... what am I doing wrong?

Personally, I don't use borders & frames because I don't like borders & frames. At home, all of my "good" pictures are printed borderless or gallery wraps on canvas, or in picture books.

Personally, I don't use borders & frames because I don't like borders & frames. At home, all of my "good" pictures are printed borderless or gallery wraps on canvas, or in picture books.
ya thats what i was getting at

I put them on my images because I want you to see them the way I would have them on my own wall. The only difference is that on my wall they'd have real matts and frames.

I put them on my images because I want you to see them the way I would have them on my own wall. The only difference is that on my wall they'd have real matts and frames.

Yeah, I can understand that. Borders definitely do add a whole other dimension to images, sometimes-- they often can add more contrast, even.

It is that reason right there that I feel there are shots for borders and some that should never have them.

Shots That no one in there right mind would ever put on to a wall should in no way have a border, but if it's somthing I would consiter putting on a wall It's rather nice to to see how it would look framed.

I put a black border to make it stand out. I put a black and white border if the edges of the photo contain a lot of black. Either way, I htink it draws your eye to them more. Just me though.

To me, presentation's everything. I don't really look at borders as a pretentious way to do things, and a crappy shot is a crappy shot, no matter how it's portrayed. Through and through, though, I want whatever shots I take to look a little bit professional, unless they are just snapshots of goofing around with friends or whatnot. I don't take myself seriously in the sense that I go about photography with a straight face at all times (quite the opposite, really), but I do in that I want to give the best possible presentation of what I've done because it is something I've created, and I'm proud of it.

Until the next day, when I shoot something else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back