Need a budget wide-angle lens & high-speed lens for Nikon D3100

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Doesn't have to be Nikon but should be good quality obviously.

I have a 50/1.4D old manual prime lens but it honestly just isn't practical for most situations. There's only so far I can step backwards and the focal length is way too long

Also, I'm looking for a decent wide-angle lens since I'm abroad in Asia right now and there are so many situations where I felt having a wide-angle lens would have helped me out a lot

my budget wide angle is a Tokina 11-16 2.8 and I love it.

You need to tell us what "budget" means to you in dollars and sense, but I would second the motion for the Tokina 11-16.

That is a 'budget' lens???? It costs over $600!!!! I have the Nikkor 18-105mm VR and I love love love it. $250 brand new. I also bought a Promaster 28mm 2.8 for $20 on ebay, manual focus only, not as wide angle as some others, but still a great lens

That is a 'budget' lens???? It costs over $600!!!!...
Sure it is, depending on your budget. That's why people need to provide a dollar figure when asking for equipment recommendations. My budget for a UWA zoom was $1500 - others may have different budgets.

You need to go to the Super-Secret Camera Store that Sells High-Quality Gear at 80% off Every Day. Myself, I'm looking for a new Ferrari for less than $25,000. Anyone know where the Super-Secret Ferrari dealer is?

BTW, the Super-Secret Camera Store that Sells High-Quality Gear at 80% off Every Day is located at the Greyhound Bus station, through the lobby, past the Men's Room, third door along. Sign on the door states, "Electrical Room". Knock three times, pause for two seconds, then cough twice. Bruno or Vinny will let you in. Tell them "Carlos the Cutter" sent you.

You need to go to the Super-Secret Camera Store that Sells High-Quality Gear at 80% off Every Day. Myself, I'm looking for a new Ferrari for less than $25,000. Anyone know where the Super-Secret Ferrari dealer is?

BTW, the Super-Secret Camera Store that Sells High-Quality Gear at 80% off Every Day is located at the Greyhound Bus station, through the lobby, past the Men's Room, third door along. Sign on the door states, "Electrical Room". Knock three times, pause for two seconds, then cough twice. Bruno or Vinny will let you in. Tell them "Carlos the Cutter" sent you.

Ah yes. What would a post in the Beginner's Forum asking for help be without someone's snarky nasty comment? If you don't have helpful advice, just keep your comments to yourself. So sick of people in this forum. Not everyone has tons of cash to throw around like you amazingly pro photographers. Beginner's have to start somewhere.

To OP: Check out adorama.com, butterflyphoto.com, and even Overstock.com if you have a smaller budget, like under $400.

Ah yes. What would a post in the Beginner's Forum asking for help be without someone's snarky nasty comment? If you don't have helpful advice, just keep your comments to yourself. So sick of people in this forum. Not everyone has tons of cash to throw around like you amazingly pro photographers. Beginner's have to start somewhere. ..........

I consider question like "How do I buy a $600 lens for $(insert unknown budget here)?" rather futile, myself.

And please, quit making assumptions about my chosen profession or my financial status. You only make yourself look foolish.

Ah yes. What would a post in the Beginner's Forum asking for help be without someone's snarky nasty comment? If you don't have helpful advice, just keep your comments to yourself. So sick of people in this forum. Not everyone has tons of cash to throw around like you amazingly pro photographers. Beginner's have to start somewhere.

Buy once, cry once. It's expensive but you will never have to replace or buy again, so in the long run it's actually cheaper. IMHO. YMMV. :D

That is a 'budget' lens???? It costs over $600!!!! I have the Nikkor 18-105mm VR and I love love love it. $250 brand new. I also bought a Promaster 28mm 2.8 for $20 on ebay, manual focus only, not as wide angle as some others, but still a great lens

Yes sir. For my needs and compared to other wide angle lens I wanted, the Tokina 11-16 was my "budget lens".

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A friend of mine bought a screw on attachment for his Nikon for like 100 bucks. not true wide angle but the price is right. The cheapest I found that seemed to be a good quality was the Sigma 8-16. But that's $699 on amazon and does not accept filters.

Amazon.com: Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM FLD AF Ultra Wide Zoom Lens for APS-C sized Nikon Digital DSLR Camera: Camera & Photo

Compared to the same price Tokina 11-16, its slow too (f4.5-5.6 compared to 2.8 throughout). I don't have experience with that lenses sharpness, but sharpness is the main reason i went wuith the Tokina for the budget buy.

Ah yes. What would a post in the Beginner's Forum asking for help be without someone's snarky nasty comment? If you don't have helpful advice, just keep your comments to yourself. So sick of people in this forum. Not everyone has tons of cash to throw around like you amazingly pro photographers. Beginner's have to start somewhere. ..........

I consider question like "How do I buy a $600 lens for $(insert unknown budget here)?" rather futile, myself.

And please, quit making assumptions about my chosen profession or my financial status. You only make yourself look foolish.

I think you are confused, The OP simply asked for suggestions for a budget lens, he didn't balk at the $600 lens suggestion. KAikens318 objected to a $600 lens being a budget lens but he didn't ask the question.

That is a 'budget' lens???? It costs over $600!!!! ...
Yes, that is a budget, 3rd party lens.

Good lenses cost considerably more.

$2200 - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

$1640 - Nikon 35mm f/1.4G AF-S FX SWM Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Here is a $4900 portrait lens: Nikon AF-S VR NIKKOR 200mm f/2.0 G AF-S IF-ED Lens 2150 B&H

Most reactions

Back