Need a camera for Car Photography.

cici_rupert9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there,
Photography is a hobby of mine , but I often visit car shows to express my passion. I am looking for advice on what kind of Nikon camera would be best for me. I currently use a Canon EOS 20D, but it isn't mine so I have to get my own soon. It does a good job, but I don't have a lens that will focus on the small pieces of a car, like emblems and general detail.

Here is a link to some of my work, so you understand what I mean by 'car photography.'
Cars-Coffee-Cameras

I'm a college kid, so around $500 would be nice. I have more to spend, but I would rather not. I do want to explore with a macro lens at some point, if that means anything. I'm sorry. I use a camera, but I don't understand all the terminology. I'm just a hobbyist.

Lastly, as honestly as anyone can answer, would a Nikon be a better pick over a Canon or are they about the same in general quality?

Thanks in advance!

I'd buy a Nikon D3200 on close-out. It will take OLD Nikon F-mount lenses, like say the old 55mm f/3.5 pre-Ai Micro~Nikkor, which can be bought from KEGH.com in rough shape cosmetically for $32. Or buy an old 105mm f/4 Micro~Nikkor, cheap.

The Nikon will give you greater dynamic range than any Canon, and higher resolution than any Canon. ANY Canon. No matter the price. And it's a small,light camera, affordable too. If you are really broke, the older, pre-AI Nikkor lenses can save you a lot of money.

I would look at the Sigma 10-20mm lens, which is on rebate right now for like $349.I THINK I saw the coupon code at ken Rockwell.com last night.

JUNE is camera sales/rebate month in the USA.

OP: I have taken the liberty of moving your thread to the general equipment forum. There is no requirement to post across multiple fora.

I Second the D3200 for the Dynamic range and the 24 megapixels that will give you more room for cropping while still holding a high resolution image. Right now BH photo has brand new D3200 with a starter kit glass 18-55 $476.00 with Free Expedited Shipping or Adorama Same price free shipping and both very reputable.

I'd agree the D3200 will be your best bet for a camera body, I'd look for maybe used or refurbished from a site like KEH, Adorama or B&H photo. The kit lens will work fine in good lighting, and easy enough to add an external flash if needed.

I Second the D3200 for the Dynamic range and the 24 megapixels that will give you more room for cropping while still holding a high resolution image. Right now BH photo has brand new D3200 with a starter kit glass 18-55 $476.00 with Free Expedited Shipping or Adorama Same price free shipping and both very reputable.

I third (edit: fourth) that setup. Within your budget and a lens that will give you the detail that you want, and you can play around with a little wide angle.

I got the car bug too even on a rainy day the other week. I love the old cars and the grills, and lines that they have
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100677477@N08/sets/72157645081760985/

I'd buy a Nikon D3200 on close-out. It will take OLD Nikon F-mount lenses, like say the old 55mm f/3.5 pre-Ai Micro~Nikkor, which can be bought from KEH.com in rough shape cosmetically for $32. Or buy an old 105mm f/4 Micro~Nikkor, cheap.

The Nikon will give you greater dynamic range than any Canon, and higher resolution than any Canon. ANY Canon. No matter the price. And it's a small,light camera, affordable too. If you are really broke, the older, pre-AI Nikkor lenses can save you a lot of money.

I would look at the Sigma 10-20mm lens, which is on rebate right now for like $349.I THINK I saw the coupon code at ken Rockwell.com last night.

Pretty much this.

Alright! Thank you all very much! :blushing: I appreciate the help!

Thank you. Sorry, I wasn't sure what one was best, but I know now.

Ideally, the best camera is probably out of your price range. The Sony full frame mirror less would be perfect, especially once you get in to rig shots. Having a 5dmkii with wide angle lens hanging off a pole can put your heart in your chest on occasion.

I prefer a fast wide angle lens for car photography. The wide angle is great for showing off the lines of a car with exaggerated perspective. The wide apertures of a fast lens will blur out the images in the reflection of the chrome or paint which is useful because often that reflection is of a guy holding a camera to his face.

I'd buy a Nikon D3200 on close-out. It will take OLD Nikon F-mount lenses, like say the old 55mm f/3.5 pre-Ai Micro~Nikkor, which can be bought from KEGH.com in rough shape cosmetically for $32. Or buy an old 105mm f/4 Micro~Nikkor, cheap.

Agree. Without making any stylistic comments, I'd also recommend a fast prime lens: f1.4/1.8/2 in a 35mm or 50mm on an APS-C sensor. This allows for shallow(er) DOF/selective focus and blurring of busy/distracting backgrounds. A polarizer should be standard equipment, too. Go for detail. Whole car shots are always difficult at shows/cruise nights. Not a fan of distorted, wide-angle car close-ups.

Go with Nikon D3200, it will improve your skill, and you can buy with 500$ the body and 2 lenses and a bag and memory card, see the best 3 offer for Nikon D3200 (just for have an idea).
Nikon D3200 is great DLSR camera. (24.2 MP and large sensor ...... much features on it)

Like everyone mentioned, I would recommend going with the D3200 with a kit lens. Im sure you can get one under $500. The kit lens that you should look into getting just for starting out is a 18-55mm which is good to cover all the angles of the cars you're photographing. I also am a car enthusiast and have shot MANY cars at different events with my D3200 paired w/ a Sigma 17-50mm in RAW format and have got excellent results. Once you really do get into it, all you need to do is invest in better glass and you will love the results. Good luck bud.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back