Need a camera that can zoom in from miles out

If you want to take photos then look up telephoto lenses. If you want to just look then look up telescope and binoculars or perhaps spotting scopes. Any of those will provide thousands of results for study. You also need to be more specific, perhaps saying you want to count the windows in a building from 5 miles away on a clear day or you want to recognize a person in the window from 5 miles away????????????very different answers.
count the numbers of windows on the building would be what I am looking for

If you want to take photos then look up telephoto lenses. If you want to just look then look up telescope and binoculars or perhaps spotting scopes. Any of those will provide thousands of results for study. You also need to be more specific, perhaps saying you want to count the windows in a building from 5 miles away on a clear day or you want to recognize a person in the window from 5 miles away????????????very different answers.
Telephoto lens! Awesome. this forum is really helpful.

now my question is, is there a lower end model that also zooms in but better on the budget?
Sorry to be blunt, but probably not. What's your budget?

Coolpix P900

now my question is, is there a lower end model that also zooms in but better on the budget?

Canon SX60HS, look for a refurbished one, $350. New $450

Here one today at lunch in park, at least 30 yards away. It's a little soft but I didn't hold it steady enough.
cdb937aec52dc511d23bafb9fe5a8f61.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I need to see structures, shoreline, stuff like that but not in great detail. I just need something that can see out 10+ miles out

I think someone has to point you to sample photos of things 10+ miles away at maximum zoom. I can see the shore and structures at that distance with the naked eye. I can't count the windows at 10 miles though.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just read a review for the Olympus SP-800UZ 14MP Digital Camera with 30x Wide Angle Dual Image Stabilized Zoom that says:

"I took photos of lighthouses over water 7 and 9 miles away and got better detail than you could see through a telescope."

They're on Amazon from $59.99.

Need a camera that can zoom in from miles out, would that be some kind of telescope or something? I have no idea. List everything you know about the subject so I have something to research off of. Thanks
Most cameras can....even a standard 18-55 zoom can ZOOM in across the distant galaxies.
You won't see much though.

350 dollars, i'm willing to go higher just trying to see what is out there

How's this for 12 miles away? Taken with the Canon EOS-1D Mark II. The body only is selling for $259.99 on Amazon. Maybe someone here could suggest a lens to achieve the same based on the EXIF info. I found the photo through this page:

Full EXIF Info
Date/Time: 16-Apr-2005 19:47:52
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 400 mm
Exposure Time: 2.00 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO Equivalent: 100
Exposure Bias:
White Balance: (-1)
Metering Mode: matrix (5)
JPEG Quality: (6)
Exposure Program: manual (4)
Focus Distance:

Last edited:
whats that one canon super zoom bridge camera?

The Canon I mention often is the SX50, which is the now discontinued model. It has been replaced by the SX60 which provides slightly greater zoom power. The 50 can be had for about $200 on line and the 60 is still running around $350.

Both belong to a category of "superzoom" bridge cameras.

Most manufacturers offer similar cameras as they have become a popular option with birders and other wildlife photographers.

The SX50/60 have numerous images of the full moon on this forum; SX50 Moon Shot Hand-Held: Canon PowerShot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Most superzooms also offer a built in teleconverter for greater in camera magnification and/or a "digital zoom" which will effectively double the reach of the lens.

Here's a buying guide for several superzoom cameras; 2016 Roundup: Consumer Long Zoom Compacts

Keep in mind, the longer the reach of the lens, the more difficult it will be to hand hold a shot. A tripod is almost a necessity when using a zoom lens with 1200mm + reach if you want sharp images.

You can also add an inexpensive filter to your superzoom which will further increase its reach. This one is a popular option with the Canons; Raynox DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Lens DCR-250 B&H Photo Video

Normally used for macro photography, it's a magnifier none the less and will work for increasing zoom at the long end of the lens.

Like most magnifiers added to a lens, there are trade offs to their use. The most significant issue with the Raynox IMO is the issue of auto-focus systems not always liking the filters. If you have manual focus on the lens, then this becomes less of a problem.

I guess it shouldn't need to be said, "counting windows" can lead to legal issues.

The Nikon P900 and the Canon SX60HS are the one I had in mind for super zoom point and shoot.

whats that one canon super zoom bridge camera?

The Canon I mention often is the SX50, which is the now discontinued model. It has been replaced by the SX60 which provides slightly greater zoom power. The 50 can be had for about $200 on line and the 60 is still running around $350.

Both belong to a category of "superzoom" bridge cameras.

Most manufacturers offer similar cameras as they have become a popular option with birders and other wildlife photographers.

The SX50/60 have numerous images of the full moon on this forum; SX50 Moon Shot Hand-Held: Canon PowerShot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Most superzooms also offer a built in teleconverter for greater in camera magnification and/or a "digital zoom" which will effectively double the reach of the lens.

Here's a buying guide for several superzoom cameras; 2016 Roundup: Consumer Long Zoom Compacts

Keep in mind, the longer the reach of the lens, the more difficult it will be to hand hold a shot. A tripod is almost a necessity when using a zoom lens with 1200mm + reach if you want sharp images.

You can also add an inexpensive filter to your superzoom which will further increase its reach. This one is a popular option with the Canons; Raynox DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Lens DCR-250 B&H Photo Video

Normally used for macro photography, it's a magnifier none the less and will work for increasing zoom at the long end of the lens.

Like most magnifiers added to a lens, there are trade offs to their use. The most significant issue with the Raynox IMO is the issue of auto-focus systems not always liking the filters. If you have manual focus on the lens, then this becomes less of a problem.

I guess it shouldn't need to be said, "counting windows" can lead to legal issues.
There is no law against photography from a public place unless its a public shower, bath, changing room, or other place where privacy is expected.
Any shot from a street or other public access is fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back