Need a landscape lens under $150

I am in your exact shoes, my 24-85mm VR lens on my DX body is sometimes too wide so I was looking for a wider lens in a comfortable price and found this lens Sigma 18-35mm 3.5-4.5.
Lens cost used on ebay 84$ and I still didn't get it.
Very little information on this lens on the net and when I posted a question about this lens on this forum no one replied so I cant tell you how good it is.
From the very little I found on the net its owners either hated it or loved it but from 2 people I really cant know much about the lens so I decided for this small amount I have nothing to loose.

Just my 2c

Good luck

Thanks for the link. I'm watching this one too: Nikon 24mm F 2 8 AI Excellent Condition | eBay

I think it's kind of an odd, but cool little bonus that the former owner scratched his name into the lens barrel.

After sleeping on it, I've realized that I could benefit from having an 18-70, even if I only need the wide end. It would pair perfectly with my 70-300 and just 2 lenses could cover 90% of my shots. My 35 1.8G can take care of low-light stuff and the 85 1.8D would serve as my portrait lens.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have owned an 18-70mm for years and have had nothing but great service from it. Vignetting is about the only real dig and not that big of one at that.

All in all it's a gem and a great walk-around lens.

try this 18-70mm AF-S DX Lens Review by Thom Hogan

Thanks for the feedback and the link Mike. :thumbsup:

Hogan's review was one of the first I read about this lens a couple nights ago. I'm frankly surprised that the 18-70 only goes for ~$150, considering all its favorable qualities.

I have owned an 18-70mm for years and have had nothing but great service from it. Vignetting is about the only real dig and not that big of one at that.

Hogan's review was one of the first I read about this lens a couple nights ago. I'm frankly surprised that the 18-70 only goes for ~$150, considering all its favorable qualities.

Most everyone wants a Ferrari or at least to be thought of as having experience with one and wouldn't be caught dead in a Chevy.

Even if the Chevy is exactly what's needed. ;)

Boom. Done. Just made a best offer for a VERY nice looking 18-70 and after a couple counter-offers, had my final offer of $132.50 accepted. Comes with both caps, hood, UV filter and even a manual. I'm VERY happy. :D

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Be sure to take the UV filter off as soon as you get it.

The 18-70 is, IMO, one of the best kit lenses ever, and also one of the hidden gems of the Nikon line, at least as far as DX lenses go. I've had mine since they first hit the street, and I'm keeping it til either (1) it dies totally and completely, or (2) I get rid of my last DX body.

Yeah, I'll probably end up putting a polarizer or graduated filter on it since it'll be frequently used for landscapes.

Leave 'em off until you need them.

The 18-70 is, IMO, one of the best kit lenses ever, and also one of the hidden gems of the Nikon line, at least as far as DX lenses go. I've had mine since they first hit the street, and I'm keeping it til either (1) it dies totally and completely, or (2) I get rid of my last DX body.

Awesome. Nice to hear more positive opinions that let me know I made a good purchase. :thumbsup:

Leave 'em off until you need them.

Well, naturally. ;)

you probably know this already, but be aware the polarizer can do funny things to the sky at wide focal lengths. Because the sky is darkened the most 90° either way from the sun, and minimally affected in the direction of the sun and opposite you can end up with the sky looking dark on one side of your picture and bright on the other.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back