Need a lens recommendation for n indoor wedding

dnavarrojr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.topekadesign.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got invited to be a third shooter at a wedding and I'm looking for advice on which lens to rent... I can only afford to rent one (I'm not getting paid for this).

It's an indoor wedding in a Catholic Church and unfortunately, I can't visit the church ahead of time (it's 3 hours away) to secure my rental (I'm going to the rehearsal the day before).

I have a general purpose 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 and a 50mm F/1.4.

I was thinking of getting one of these 3 lenses:

Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L
Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8
Canon 24-105mm F/4L

As third shooter, I'm likely to be shooting crowd shots and distance shots. The 24-105mm is the most versatile, but I'm a little concerned that F4 won't be fast enough inside of the church. I don't know how well lit things are inside of a Catholic Cathedral and I can't find any example pics of other weddings inside the church.

I am headed over to a local Catholic Cathedral tomorrow just to check it out, but I don't know if it will be lit the same.

I'd appreciate any inside anyone can give.

I personally wont rent anything. Just do your best with what you have. You can take good shots with the 50mm assuming you have flash as well. 3rd shooter.. just have fun man. Capture the emotion of the parents/grandparents during the ceremony.

Well if you are the 3rd you may be hanging out in the background or upstairs in the balcony. If so I would think the 70-200 2.8vr.
-
Shoot well, Joe

If you have a FF Canon body like a 5D or 5D-II, or a 1D Mark IIn or Mark III, you'll have EXCELLENT high-ISO capabilities, so an f/4 lens at 1600 and or 3200 ISO will not be all "that bad". If you have a 1.6x Canon, you'll probably rather have the wifer aperture lenses rather than the range of the 24-105 f/4 when indoors.

It *is* possible that the church will be a fairly modern, well-lighted one, rather than some 1920's brick-and-stained-glass dim-light special...and it *is* ostensibly summer time, so we have the brightest light of the year in North America over the next month, which helps a LOT in many indoor locations. I would of COURSE, take my 50mm f/1.4 Canon USM, and wear that on a belt holster, or a fanny pack. Travel LIGHT is my advice. DO not weight yourself down with ANY kind of shoulder bag or sling bag. A waist pouch that can hold the 24-70-L or the 50/1.4 is what you want on one hip, and your 580 EX-II, modified so it has a FRICKIN BELT LOOP ON THE CASE, like a Nikon flash case, is what you want on the other hip. You wanna be Ninja Navarro at this event! Light on your feet, silent, but deadly!

Thanks. I have a Canon T2i (1.6x crop). And there is no flash allowed in the church during the ceremony. I figured I'd mostly be using my 50 F/1.4 during the reception.

You'll notice even if they allow flash, most pro photographers still wont use flash.

Yeah.. Of course. I was just saying most wont turn on the flash but have it mounted just in case. Off course more than likely you need flash during the reception.

I found some photos on Flickr that were taken inside the church with a 5D at 1600 ISO and F/2.8. Almost all of them were taken with a 70-200mm F/2.8L -- so I'm leaning that way.

I think my plan might be use the 50mm F/1.4 for the pre-wedding video I'll be shooting and maybe break out the 18-270mm if I need something wider. And just use the 50mm F/1.4 and rent a 70-200mm F/2.8L for the wedding itself where I'll be shooting stills. Then back to the 50mm F/1.4 for the reception where I'll be back to shooting video. I'll decide by noon tomorrow and rent the lens then.

Guys , he is the 3rd!!!! he is not the primary shooter , you grab what you can from behind the scenes and let the paid photographer shoot close etc. You walk outside or to the balcony to get the shots the primary and secondary cannot get , the idea is to give the bride and groom more images to pick from not to shoot 3 of the same by 3 different photographers. If he had a 12-24 and was shooting close maybe , but I would hang back.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Maybe a 85 f1.2, 135 f2, or 200 f2 on a belt would give you a bit more reach and good subject/background seperation. Paired with your 50 1.4 you would have some good range. Just have to step forward and back. Not sure how much it would be to rent any of those in comparison to the lenses you posted.

You don't need a lens, whats wrong with using the 50F1.4

I will be shooting from the back of the room and need a zoom to get some of the shots on my shot list. Also, since I rented the lens for a week, I'll also be able to use it for some other stuff both before and after the wedding.

Maybe a 85 f1.2, 135 f2, or 200 f2 on a belt would give you a bit more reach and good subject/background seperation. Paired with your 50 1.4 you would have some good range. Just have to step forward and back. Not sure how much it would be to rent any of those in comparison to the lenses you posted.

Thanks, I went with the 70-200 F/2.8L and BorrowLenses.com was running a special, so I got it for a week ($59).

Most reactions

Back