Need a little help with this one......

zombiekilla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
totentanz.darkverselight.com
This is my first shot at a portrait type shot, I never realized how hard it was to take a picture of yourself!:er: The timer on my camera isnt very long so I didnt have much time to get in position. I dont have ANY lights or reflectors so there was that problem as well. All I had was the built in flash. The dark areas around the outside is a post production thing. my skin really isnt that blown out, Im just super pale, but my shirt is blown out. How can I fix this? What else did I do right/wrong?

holidaypic.jpg

From what I have learned through this very forum, lighting is the key for portrait photography, and the in-built flash of the camera is the least welcome source for it for it makes your facial features look very flat.

So I would suggest that - for as long as your only light source IS the on-camera flash - you reshoot this on a bright-enough-for-photography-without-flash photos, but a day that is overcast so you don't get too many shadows in your faces.

"Hang" the camera to the tripod (so it takes vertical photos), position your boyfriend for focusing and then within 10 seconds (which is the usual time interval given by the timers) you should make it into your own position, too.

Just an idea of mine (don't know how viable it is) is to let your boyfriend hold something that is about as bright as your skin and expose for that, for him to toss that to the side and let you sit there instead ... and you might consider to underexpose deliberately by one stop to see if not your features come out more?

This said I must add that I am farthest from being an expert on portrait photography! So let the real experts come.

There should be something on your tripod that allows you to "open" the plate on which the camera stands by 90° so that then the camera is vertical ... took me a while (and someone else's active help) to find that little screw on my tripod ... but there should be one.

I hate to say it my friend, but be harsh on yourself.

Good point - them steps are darn interesting as a backdrop! I like that they are stone and kinda dirty.

See how you lose the white top against your skin (just above the breasts)? Sure sign you over-exposed. Most cameras allow you to decrease the flash .. have a look in your manual and see if yours will do it. I always say it's better to go under than over with light.

Another wee trick is to tilt your glasses a smidge - it stops flash bounce... um.. being of the more intellectual (ie. 4 eyed) set myself, it was a trick I had to learn.. um.. just to show my brainy side at it's best you understand.

Finally, no need to be formal. Look at yous... I feel like the pastor was watching. LOL. Try a few where you ham it up a bit, or at least get natural. Maybe you look sideways, or he does.

I think you are on a winner being able to practice with your b/f. I always say "Exploitation begins at home." Get him to sit a few more with you and have fun.

Any mate... good on you for being brave enough to start to post portraits. They are darn hard work.

a picture of your tripod will help. mine has a large knob connected to the plate that the camera actually sits on, and when you loosen the knob the plate becomes moveable so I have give the camera some tilt.

xfloggingkylex said:
a picture of your tripod will help. mine has a large knob connected to the plate that the camera actually sits on, and when you loosen the knob the plate becomes moveable so I have give the camera some tilt.
I just checked it out and thast how you do it!!! :hail:
I cant believe I couldntfigure that out on my own! dur!!!!:lol:

So you have figured it out? For I was going to produce a little photos series on how to do it ... now I no longer need to do so :D. Goodie.

zombiekilla said:
[...] Im just super pale, but my shirt is blown out. How can I fix this? [...]

Work on your tan and don a darker shirt?

i think, don't use flash. just choose a slightly longer exposure. if you have a mode that lets u set the exposure and the aperture will automatically select according to that, use that one and experiment with the timing.

i try to avoid using the flash as much as possible (since i only have the one built into the camear also)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back