Need a little lens help please

CanonGolfGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've researched extensively on the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and the Canon 50mm 1.4, and most people seem to prefer the Sigma with the caveat that it may need to be micro adjusted. This is an issue for me since I shoot with a 5D classic which doesn't have the option for that. I don't have the ability to go in and shoot with several different Sigmas to see if I can get one that doesn't need to be adjusted. So my question is this. Is it worth taking a chance buying one and hoping it doesn't need adjusting, or should I just get the Canon? I'll attempt to purchase used either way. Any help or opinions are appreciated.

I have the Canon 50mm 1.4 and could not be happier. It is so crisp and great in low light. Cant comment on the Sigma but I am very happy with Canons 50mm.

I haven't used it. the-digital-picture.com reviews Canon lenses (and lenses made for Canon). Their report was that they had inconsistent focus out of the Sigma and preferred the Canon.

I've read a ton of reviews since posting this, and they all seem scattered. The bokeh looks really nice on the Sigma, and the lens looks like it is better made. I may just search around and try out a few because it seems to be much sharper at low apertures, which is what I want it for. Hoping someone that has one, or has used one will chime in. Thanks for the help so far.

Most reactions

Back