Need a new Bag - not quite the usual

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm going backpacking through asia in 2 months. Obviously a priority of my trip is to take lots of photos. I have two problems though; which camera I should take, and where should I put it.

I'm probably going to take my 40d and 17-55 lens and sell everything else, but I've also been tossing up taking the 5D2 and 50mm, possibly along with 28mm sigma. The other option I've been considering is to sell all SLR gear and get a good compact like a canon G12, or something like an olympus EP-1, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do this. Space and weight are big concerns for me, hence the considering a compact camera, but photography is a very important part of the trip and I don't want to sacrifice too much quality if I can help it.

The main problem though, is if I bring an SLR, where I should put it. It needs to be well protected, easily accessible by me, and not easily accessible by thief or pick-pocket types. What options do I have for a camera bag that I can wear comfortably at the same time as a large backpack? I haven't been able to find anything, but there must be something out there. Really would appreciate any suggestions, because if I can find something ideal then I won't have to worry about selling my SLR's and buying a compact...

I have the Kata DR-467i. The problem with it, and bags like it, is that the actual "backpack" part of the bag is relatively small. I did a ton of searching before getting the Kata, and I believe the Kata is the best of the bunch, but I'd still personally prefer something with more storage space.

If you decide to go with the Kata I can sell you mine for a good price :) Barely used.

I have the Kata DR-467i. The problem with it, and bags like it, is that the actual "backpack" part of the bag is relatively small. I did a ton of searching before getting the Kata, and I believe the Kata is the best of the bunch, but I'd still personally prefer something with more storage space.

If you decide to go with the Kata I can sell you mine for a good price :) Barely used.

I agree, the backpack portion is on the smallish side. It fit some guide books and snacks. My husband carried the camera bag and I carried a purse so we had room for the overflow stuff like passports, wallets and the like.

Lol, I actually have that same backpack already. And while I do like it it's not at all what I'm looking for now.

I already have a big backpack for all my non-camera stuff, along the lines of this:

high-sierra-sentinel-65-backpack.jpg

But I need somewhere to put my camera which is preferably not in the big backpack (so I can access it easily and keep it secure)

Most reactions

Back