Need a Photographer

connor_connor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
We are t rying to save some money on our wedding by hiring a cheaper photographer. Any ideas? Our wedding will take place in the Northwest WA.

You could try going to a local college and looking for photography students. Unfortunately though, you usually get what you pay for. I lucked out with my first wedding... got VERY professional results from someone who was just starting out his business, and he only charged us somewhere around $250 (back in 1995).

Why don't you save money on something like a cake or the food or somethinglike that even the DJ. Remember in 10, 20+ years will you still have the music or the cake or even the dres for that matter, nope you will have nothing but the pictures. I got married Before I shot weddings and thought I would save money on the photographer by renting some gear and having a relative do it and I regret it every day. A wedding is a tricky thing for anyone to shoot properly let alone someone who has never done one and I found out from experience that while you wil get some decent shots using just anyone this is probably the last thing you want to save money on.

Stuff like this pisses me off. And im sure you will find some kid with a cheap DSLR to shoot it. But the results wont be top notch.

well guys come on. If they were spending big bucks on the wedding and cheeping on the photographer then they are making a huge mistake. If they just cant afford a professional, then some photos are better then none. And if someone who is really looking to learn and put some effort is willing to use them as test subjects, well then it could work out for everyone.

You wont get the same quality as a tried and tested professional, but if you cant afford it you cant afford it. We didnt even have photos of our wedding. We simply couldnt afford it. People brought their cameras and sent us photos. It would have been nice to have someone walking around with a camera whose job it was to take photos, even if they werent a pro.

yea, i doubt they'd be trying to save money on a photographer and not the rest of the wedding. Just find someone whos just starting out with weddings. i feel like even I could probably give good results and i've never shot a wedding , so don't worry if you have to go with someone who's just a beginner, because they could very well surprise you. just make sure to take a look at their portfolio beforehand. Also, i know a photographer who has done a wedding or two for really really cheap, and he does it professionally, so maybe if you contact a few local photographers and tell them your situation, they may cut you a deal. it makes them look better for doing charitable works, and you luck out with a discount wedding photographer

For some people, the value of the picture does not come from the technical aspect of the picture, the value come completely from the subject of the picture. This is especially true when it come to baby pictures, I seen a lot of snap shots of baby on the wall and you can tell the picture was shot from a point and shoot in the worst possible condition but the parents still love the shot. Whether the shots was technically good or not doesn't really make that much of a different to them.

I would try asking all your friends to see if someone they know is into photography. Some amatuer have quite a list of equipments and know how to use it very well, you'll be surprise. They might not be able to give results that a pro would but you know....much better than the average person who take picture once a month or less.

As someone else that is currently engaged and dealing with trying to find ways to cut costs as well. One thing you could do in the world where everyone has digital cameras is to hire a photographer for the ceremony. Then ask a couple of friends to make sure they get the things in the reception that you really want captured. Chances are you will end up with a lot more photographers than you expected. Also just try to think of anyone you know who takes good pictures and ask them to do it. Another way to save costs is to ask for the raw images and retouch the photos yourself if you have a photoshop program and the ability to do it yourself. Good luck, it can be a process. One really easy way to save money is the hire the photographer for less time or if you have the ability to do something for them try to trade it out.

Im thinking a lot of these people dont have the money to hire any of "us" anyways, so lets not just jump on them for trying to save money.

Lots of people dont understand what proper wedding photography even looks like, thus dont know what they are missing out on.

If this were a professional wedding forum then I would be upset too cause they are trying to start a bidding war or something, but I think they are just trying to save money and photography is not a priority to them.

Its a chance to educate them on how important it is!!! Not to just leave one liners like "are you kidding" ? this is not going to help our cause guys.

This is why people think photographers are asses with chips on their shoulders.

Im thinking a lot of these people dont have the money to hire any of "us" anyways, so lets not just jump on them for trying to save money.

Lots of people dont understand what proper wedding photography even looks like, thus dont know what they are missing out on.

If this were a professional wedding forum then I would be upset too cause they are trying to start a bidding war or something, but I think they are just trying to save money and photography is not a priority to them.

Its a chance to educate them on how important it is!!! Not to just leave one liners like "are you kidding" ? this is not going to help our cause guys.

This is why people think photographers are asses with chips on their shoulders.
I have to agree with you.And I also know how frustraiting it can be to work as a pro or semi pro ,with consumer/prosumer cams on every corner wanting in on the action some times for cheep or even free .If some one wants a cheap photographer so be it,let em have cheap images who knows maybe they will get lucky.I work at racing events its hot dirty and hard on high dollar equipment,so it ups the anty for me to get paid for what I do ,and I get the usual can you email me those or can you print me some, garbage regularly ,but I will never be rude ,always polite and helpfull as I can be in explaining why I cant do those type of things and at least 8 out of 10 will end up buying ,for 2 reasons I have what they want and second I didnt send em packin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back