Need a recomendation for a lens

So, since I'm in a situation pretty close to goodguy's, minus the $3,000 fountain pens, and having already used my tax return on my D7000....

On the Tamron 24-70, which is looking to be about what I want to get next, how important is the VC? Does it do a lot? I would like to use it for a lot of hand held shots, especially low light (concert photography). Is it way necessary?

edit: besides, of course, about $800?
Well the main problem in slow shutter speed is camera shake that happeneds when we are holding the camera in our hands and not having it on a Tripod.
From what I saw on youtube the reviewer held the Tamaron for a whole minute shuter speed and the picture came out fine, this is an amazing result because usualy 1/30 is for many the slowers you can take pgoto without having a serious camera shake.

This camera Image Stabiliser is very impressive.
I dont know where you can get it for 800$ as here in Canada I saw its going for 1350$. Looks to me like 800$ is an amazing deal!!!

If you dont want to drop a ton of money right now I would get the 35mm 1.8G for $200. But like everyone else is saying, the 24-70 2.8 is your best bet. If you like doing landscape and want something really wide i would get the 14-24. This is a VERY sharp lens.

No, the 14-24 is not for me, I am looking for 1 lens that will be my all in one, a lens I can use for most of my activities.
I have the 50mm 18G and might keep it or buy the 50mm 1.4G

As for ebay, I bought and sold lots of stuff there so I am very comfortable on it so ebay and Kijiji will be something I will consider when I am ready to buy the lens.

For landscapes you would probably find a wide angle lens useful (I second that recommendation for the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 because it is also great for night photography) but if you are looking for a better all-round focal length range you will probably be missing out on this range.

Because you're into night photography try to get something with a wide aperture. The most affordable way to do this might be to get a couple of primes? And unless you think you need your 50mm to go down to f/1.4 I don't think the upgrade is worth the expense. The 1.8 is sharper, smaller, and cheaper.

So, since I'm in a situation pretty close to goodguy's, minus the $3,000 fountain pens, and having already used my tax return on my D7000....

On the Tamron 24-70, which is looking to be about what I want to get next, how important is the VC? Does it do a lot? I would like to use it for a lot of hand held shots, especially low light (concert photography). Is it way necessary?

edit: besides, of course, about $800?
Well the main problem in slow shutter speed is camera shake that happeneds when we are holding the camera in our hands and not having it on a Tripod.
From what I saw on youtube the reviewer held the Tamaron for a whole minute shuter speed and the picture came out fine, this is an amazing result because usualy 1/30 is for many the slowers you can take pgoto without having a serious camera shake.

I dont know where you can get it for 800$ as here in Canada I saw its going for 1350$. Looks to me like 800$ is an amazing deal!!!

That guy must have some of the steadiest hands in the world if it looks ok after a whole minute! I think that might be a lot to ask of VR ...

and since you're shopping in Canada check out Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canada - photoprice.ca, it should make it a lot easier for you to find the best price

What are you wanting to do that you haven't been able to do with your 18-105mm and 50mm? Take your 18-105 and limit it to 24-70mm. Will that do everything you are wanting. The 24-70 f/2.8 is 1 to 2 stops faster than your 18-105 and is measurably sharper but, will it give you a $1700 improvement? I replaced my 18-105 with a 16-85 mostly because of the build quality of the 18-105 and not particularly because of the IQ.

Last edited:
What are you wanting to do that you haven't been able to do with your 18-105mm and 50mm? Take your 18-105 and limit it to 24-70mm. Will that do everything you are wanting. The 24-70 f/2.8 is 1 to 2 stops faster than your 18-105 and is measurably sharper but, will it give you a $1700 improvement? I replaced my 18-105 with a 16-85 mostly because of the build quality of the 18-105 and not particularly because of the IQ.
Well I am a person who likes planing ahead.
I like my D7000 and probably keep it for the next 1-2 years but after that my gut feeling is that I will go with a full frame so why not buy first a good lens I can enjoy on a D7000 and then with what ever Nikon Full Frame I will get.
If I thought I will stay with a DX body I wouldnt bother but the 18-105 from what I understand will not work well on full frame so I need a dedicated FF lens.
My 50mm 1.8G is one but I need a nice zoom I can work as my main lens.

A minute handheld? I can guarantee you that the video has a lot of special effects built into it if the photo came out sharp :) Would you mind sharing the link so I can leave negative feedback? This kind of reminds me of one of Ken Rockwell's most preposterous statements ever: "No more tripod! VR obsoletes tripods. Now I only bother with a tripod for night photography". VR does help a bit, but let's not pull a Ken Rockwell about it.

I fully support the recommendation to get a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8. It's the lens that's on my camera most of the time and I love it. It has no flaws, except maybe for some very mild vignetting wide open and some minor barrel distortion at the widest end – issues that can be corrected in post in 10 seconds.

I haven't tried the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, but it's $600 cheaper than the Nikon so if you can live with the vignetting you mention then you should be fine – some if not most of the vignetting should be correctable in post anyway.

Finally, I can fully support the suggestion of the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, which is likely one of the best bang-for-the-back full-frame zooms out there, if not the best. Compared to the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, it vignettes more and it's also not as sharp on the edges, but on a DX body both of these issues should be negligible. The only problem I could foresee with this lens is that on a DX camera it might or might not be wide enough for your needs – that's something that only you would know.

Good luck on your search.

i recommend you
17-55 DX f/2.8, sharp lens for DX

i think VR its not important.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back