Need a solid video DSLR without grainy video

The GH4 is a very popular camera, I'd say it's more popular as a video camera than a still camera.

There are tests online that claim that the panasonic is "sharper" than very high end cameras from Red. Really, all this says to me is that the camera might be doing some sort of sharpening. I really can't see something like Red being so significantly out-performed by a $1700 prosumer SLR, though I can see Red omitting sharpening filters - so I really would take these reviews with a grain of salt.

Here is an overview of the panasonic compared to the black magic 4k production camera (which is outside your budget). The Blackmagic 4k is a pretty no-frills Super35 cinema camera.

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K versus Panasonic GH4

There are HD models which can be found for less, but by the time you add rigging for handheld it'll prob be outside your budget.

Last edited:
There are tests online that claim that the panasonic is "sharper" than very high end cameras from Red. Really, all this says to me is that the camera might be doing some sort of sharpening. I really can't see something like Red being so significantly out-performed by a $1700 prosumer SLR, though I can see Red omitting sharpening filters - so I really would take these reviews with a grain of salt.

Exactly right. The GH4 is a quality budget camera to get cheap 4k. They throw a bunch of post effect in camera to give it way too sharp looking footage. RED and other high end cine camera output "flat" looking footage that is designed to be super malleable in post production. If you saw some SOC footage from most big budget hollywood films you'd be shocked at how flat and dull the footage looks compared to the finished product.

^^^ Most of those are needed regardless if shooting DSLR, Cine or Video.

Simple truth of the matter, this stuff isn't cheap ... at all.

Most reactions

Back