Need A Tip

vandecarr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had someone ask me if I could give them the single most important tip, in my opinion, for turning out the best possible portraits?

This gave me an idea.

It would be great if each of us would post ONLY ONE TIP, that we consider very important when photographing for portraits.

I'm looking at this very optimistic and hope to learn something too.

Please post only the one tip you think of as very important that is not already listed.

I'll start....

Build rapport with whoever you are photographing so they feel
more relaxed and comfortable during the shoot.​

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Mike V

Discuss with your model before hand what your 'vison' is for the image you want to create. Conversely, if the model is paying you, you must understand what they want from the portrait. Try and get a feeling for how they see themselves.

Pay attention to the background, it's just as important to creating a good portrait as the subject themselves.

notice your focal length. the more telephoto the lens the more it compliments the subject. Wide focal lengths exaggerate distance, such as the length of a persons nose. (making it appear overly large)

A picture of a person is an image which allows someone who knows the person to recognize him/her.

A portrait of a person is an image which allows someone who doesn't know the person to learn something about him/her beside mere appearance.

Or to put it in someone else's words, a portrait should be 'more than a likeness.'

Most reactions

New Topics

Back