Need advice about video, low light with movement

skid2964

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I do a lot of real estate photography and have been doing video but I am not completely happy with the results.
These environments are low light with movement, I'm doing walk-throughs, not pans or slides, my customers don't like that. They prefer the walk-through...

To solve this problem I am considering the Sony Alpha 7s, am I on the right track? If so, lens suggestions? Do I need a FF lens or will an adapted APSc lens be ok?

Thanks....

I think I'd get a regular video camera.

A good one.

And a camera stabilizer.

What would be considered a "good one"? (suited for my purposes)...
I am completely unfamiliar with all the different video cams available these days.

How low is low light? How wide a lens do you need?
I'm assuming you are walking through a 4,000 sq ft house, not a 500 sq ft condo?
With practice you can get a pretty good video with a 5D Mk III and image stabilized lens, just hand held. Or, you can get a framework you wear to stabilize the camera while you walk around. Video cameras come in as many flavours as dSLR's, if not more. At the high end there are movie cameras that take interchangeable lenses, even dSLR lenses. Most of the movie shots are taken using a rail of some sort, or a cart. An IV pole that has a clamp to hold a tripod head might work.
Lots of opportunity, but budget, space and the evenness of the floor all play a part in what you choose.

Low light meaning as low as a house with a dark ceiling and walls. Yes, 1500 to 5000+ sq ft.
I am currently using a 10mm (min aperture is 4.0) lens on an APSc DSLR.
I have a steadycam so the video looks good, except its just too dark and of course too grainy when the light gets so low the ISO performance just isn't there to compensate. The only solution is high ISO performance... whether it be a camera or dedicated video camera.. I'm looking for the right one...

10 mm on APS-C gives about 90° angle of view. On full frame, 16 mm would give about the same view. You could get a f/2.8 lens which would be a stop better. Full frame will give you a stop or two better ISO noise performance too. Going for a really wide aperture, f/1.4, say, might not give enough depth of field.
Cheap video cameras have very small sensors, so low light performance is not as good as what you have been doing.

why not add a bright & wide LED lighting system to your camera, then all would be lite really well ?
one of these on each side of the camera via a bracket maybe could provide the light that you need. --> Manfrotto Spectra 500 Spot LED Fixture MLS500S

FYI - I've never tried this so I don't know if it would work. But even 2 of these and a bracket would be alot cheaper than jumping to another camera without knowing if it will work.

Last edited:
i would probably try the yongnuo YN300 LED video light its about 60 bucks on amazon, than you need to buy a battery for it..

or i have a 35mm 1.8F lens and that does really well in low light. not sure if 35mm is a wide enough angle but it was around 200 bucks for the lens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back