Need advice for lens usage (wedding)

TheUndisputed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My mother is getting re-married this month on the 30th, and wants me to do the photography for them. However, I only have a 18-70mm Lens. What lenses do I need to rent to get the best looking shots for wedding photography. Many people have referred me to rent a 50mm f/1.8.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

The 50mm 1.8 is only like $90 so why not just buy one?

I would rent a 70-200 2.8 for most shooting and portraits, and a 17-55 2.8 for wider shots.

A nice speedlight would be on my list as well.

p!nK

Good advice, but Nikons AF 50 mm f/1.8, new is $125 - $130. Canon's 50 mm f/1.8 is about $90.

This is a very popular subject. I see the same topic once a day LOL.

As a total noob, using a Canon with cropped sensor and a bunch of borrowed lenses (!) I found I used a 24-105mm f4 for pretty much the whole day, and then a 50mm f1.4 for the evening. I did have access to a 70-200mm but it just seemed to long and too heavy so I only took a couple of shots with it. I can't find an equivilent Nikon lens for the 24-105 though.

Consider renting a strobe and / or picking up a reflector too.

Nikon has a 24-70mm F2.8, as does Canon.

i agree with mrpink, 70-200 2.8 very good for candid shots. you can really capture the emotions using this lens. 50mm 1.4 is also good for close up and portrait shots.

to answer your question on what lenses you need:

yes. since the answer depends on what you want to do/take.

I've used the Nikon 18-200 with a flash before to take a wedding. (had most my equipment stolen two days before, the body and that lens was elsewhere and I bought a flash, it worked) what I want for weddings is two bodies. one with a fairly wide fast prime like the DX 35 1.8 for low light and one with the 70-200 2.8 I don't have yet for reach. then I could flip back and forth between them for different shots.

Most reactions

Back